Vive La France: SO 4060 Super Vautour

Hi,

I published in "Le Fana de l'Aviation", a few months ago, some illustrations for an article on the SO 4060. I made a maritime version. However, my plans are not as good as yours Mr.Prolific (I'm jealous!!!).
Enjoy anyway, and I hope that might give you some ideas.

Regards
Alain

Attachments

• Plans coupes SNCASO 4060_resize.jpg
    Plans coupes SNCASO 4060_resize.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 201
  • Plans SNCASO 4060b_resize.jpg
    Plans SNCASO 4060b_resize.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 229
  • Profil SNCASO 4060 Marine_resize.jpg
    Profil SNCASO 4060 Marine_resize.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 192
Nice work! You seem to have found a great deal more than I have with regard to the structure ad other variants. I was unaware there were two seat versions.

I'm almost done with the top view.

Attachments

• SO 4060_top.jpg
    SO 4060_top.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 165
prolific1 said:
Nice work! You seem to have found a great deal more than I have with regard to the structure ad other variants. I was unaware there were two seat versions.

Oooh... gorgeous top view!! :eek:

I'm jealous :mad:
but from a postive point of view !
i like you art Damon Morgan. :D

prolific1 said:

Thanks for the comment :)
In fact, there were multiple versions of this aircraft (bomber, attack, marine, etc...). I got the details based on blueprints extracted from the archives, that's how I could do the cuttaway.
Nevertheless, I should have worked on the details to have a more "prototype-like" rendering, like you. It adds more realism I think.
By the way, what are you using? Photoshop? Illustrator?

Regards
Alain

alanqua said:
my plans are not as good as yours Mr.Prolific (I'm jealous!!!)

Alain, I think they nicely complement each other, personally! Yours put the accent on layout and general impressions, while his seek more realism. Both are needed...

Mmmm... maybe I'll do some rework of my drawings finally, especially the Marine version.

Thanks for the comment Smiley
In fact, there were multiple versions of this aircraft (bomber, attack, marine, etc...). I got the details based on blueprints extracted from the archives, that's how I could do the cuttaway.
Nevertheless, I should have worked on the details to have a more "prototype-like" rendering, like you. It adds more realism I think.
By the way, what are you using? Photoshop? Illustrator?

I use Photoshop. Yeah you did a fine job...and you got published. I haven't been...well not for airplanes at least. :-\

Any chance I can glimpse those blueprints? Hehe ;D

Re: Vive La France: SO 4060 Super Vautour (top view)

Finished the cockpit. On to the front view. I'm still deciding if I am gonna do a bottom and rear view of all the work I'm making.

Attachments

• SO 4060_top.jpg
    SO 4060_top.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 420
prolific1 said:
(...) Yeah you did a fine job...and you got published.

Fully agree on that.
Alanqua your profiles and especially cutaway are clear and well suitable for publications, anyway this passion is a "little by little" growing activity.

So, go on!!!!

Love it all! One day please do a tut on your natural metal finish techniques!!!

Pretty please!!!

prolific1 said:
While I'm deciding what to do next (though a Ye152 seems possible) I am gonna make this Super Vautour into a 3-view (maybe even a 5-view). I wanna work out how I will do my page layouts and have a few questions:

1. Would any of you prefer a standard sized book with illos going across the gutter (the center binding) or a larger format book with the illos on each page, avoiding any obstruction from the binding/gutter?

2. Portrait format (friendly for book shelves) or landscape (friendly for illos)?

Like most of us here ... I'm simply speechless !

And therefore - most likely - I missed it some where else ... WHAT book ?? ???

Can You PLEASE give us some more detail about the title and esp. when and where it will be published ?

Thanks in advance,
Deino

Oh...well all of these pics I'm making are for a largely illustrated book of aerospace projects that were never built or never saw production. I'm making a 6 view of the Super Vautour as an exercise to examine whether this is the route I want to go. Though it is proving to be a great deal of work I'm probably gonna go the 6-view route because people will likely enjoy that more. It will take the better part of 6 months to complete the art portion. The writing portion will be more svelte as I am hardly an authority. It will lean towards the coffee table book end of the spectrum. Everything will be illustrated as it might have been with regard to appearing used, squadron markings, and export markings as well. I'll keep ya'll updated.

First off excellent work prolific1!

SNCASO's SO.4060 is just such a sensible design, it really is a shame this thing never flew. Almost a sort of French Phantom.

First off excellent work prolific1!

SNCASO's SO.4060 is just such a sensible design, it really is a shame this thing never flew. Almost a sort of French Phantom.

Thanks!

Yeah...sort of Phantom like isn't it. Particularly when viewed from above. Six view to follow. It appears that despite the additional work, I will be aiming for 6 views of all the aircraft I am painting for my book.

Excellent work mate.

Your book sounds fantastic already, but to be honest it might be best to stick to three-views. That way there's a smaller chance you'll run out of steam before you have enough aircraft to publish. It's quite a deal of work you're undertaking! :eek:

I wanna make something that I would like to buy...plenty of art. I'm a ride this one till the wheels fall off and we'll see from there. Maybe some 6 views and some 3. Basically I'm not sure what I'm gonna do next anyway so I'm going back and working on what I've already done.

Hope you make lots of backups. Lots of saved working versions, USB sticks or HD:s kept at different locations etc etc...

That is a very cool plane and very well drawn. With the rare configuration of the navigator in front of the pilot perhaps a picture showing the entry door for this position open would be a good idea. Of course I have no idea how the navigator would get in. Leaving via ejection is pretty obvious and would certainly leave no questions in the pilots mind if the navigator has gotten away.

For a wish list of potential alternative users:

RAAF in Vietnam in place of Canberra (as a replacement to the F-111 order)
IAF in East Pakistan (Tiger stripes camouflage)
ALA in Chad against Libya
IDF/AF in 1973 (camouflage)

Well I opted to illustrate the monoposto as it was the only reference on hand until I received some reference. The coupe you're mentioning had a rear folding nose wheel, a bomb bay, and a fairly level stance on the ground. The other coupe had the nav seat behind the pilot in a very Phantomesque arrangement with a high sitting forward folding nose gear and a pair of tandem wheeled rear gear. On the version I made I presumed the nose wheel would fold forward lest it make carrying a central fuel tank of any reasonable size problematic. In any event the reference I had was all but non existent as most of the drawings were vague and simple. I merely extrapolated what I imagined it may have been based on other existing designs.

I may address other variants later on to puff up my book. For now I will be making additional views of the other stuff I already made.

From memory the Vautour IIB navigator (who also sat in front) got in and out via the ejection seat hatch requiring a long ladder and some gymnastics.

Just a short question regarding Your book project ... are there any news ??

Deino

Sadly I can't continue investing any energy into my book until any or all of the reference material offered to me by my comrades at Secret Projects is forthcoming. Without it all I have is a picture book, to which no publisher would be interested. The publishers I contacted who were interested want sample chapters to be written before they will review it. I've instead turned my time towards the creation and completion of my graphic novel. I'll definitely resume work on my book as soon as I am able to get/find what I need.

Very Impresive, does somebody have catwey of NORD 1500 Griffon,thanks in advance

Back
Top Bottom