vickers 163

tony

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
hi
new on this site, came across it while looking for information for my new rc build.

i have just received the pre production drawings for the vickers 163 from 1929.

if any one has some more information on this aircraft it would greatly help me in the construction of this model.

thank you
tony.

Two pics (probably found on the web). I'm sure if you Google "vickers 163" (with the quote signs) you'll find out plenty more material.

Attachments

• vickers_163.gif
    vickers_163.gif
    33.5 KB · Views: 942
  • vickers_163.jpg
    vickers_163.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 910
i have all those pics and the short write up in the vickers aircraft book.

just hoping for any more info.

thanks anyway.
tony.

The 3-view seems to be the one from F.K.Mason "The British Bomber Since 1914".
The article in this book says for short :
Designed by Rex Pierson for B.19/27 (but completed too late for consideration and
not tendered for B.22/27 and C.16/28, as the Air Ministry had changed requirements)
the type 163 was a bomber /transport for either 30 fully armed troops or for a bomb
load of at least 6.000 lbs. As Rex Pierson pointed out, that the required performance
couldn't be obtained with three of the preferred engines, the specification was changed
to allow four engines and bomb load was reduced to 3.000 lbs. So the 163 was designed
to use four RR F.XIV engines, but no prototype was ordered by the AM due to differences
with regards to the estimated performance figures of this new engine and the type was
built as a private venture, not being ready for service testing before February 1932 and
then finding no acceptance by service pilots.
Technical data:
span 90 ft 9 in, length 66 ft 9 in, height 22 ft 4 in, weigt all-up 25.700 lbs, max. speed
160 mph at 6.500 ft, climb to 10.000 ft 15 min 15 sec, service ceiling 25.200 ft, range
1.150 miles at 140 mph.
armament: single Lewis guns in nose and tail positions, bomb load of 12 250 lbs bombs

the drawing i have is the 1929 one and it shows the plane as originally having 6 guns.
front, rear, underside, top behind the top wing and 2 side guns.

i will keep searching for more info while i draw up the plans i need to do the build.

thank you

tony.

well i have done the drawings for the fuselage :D and made a start on construction.
its going to be a reasonable size about 67" wingspan.
i just hope i can do it justice.

DSCN2813.jpg

front section of fuselage under construction. :D

Found some more pictures.
Source: 'Armament of British Aircraft 1909-1939' by H.F. King, Putnam 1971

Attachments

• Vickers 163 1.jpg
    Vickers 163 1.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 50
  • Vickers 163 2.jpg
    Vickers 163 2.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 56
thank you.
the bottom one gives me just the view of the engine mounts and fuse i need.
great. :D

DSCN2894.jpg

DSCN2904.jpg

DSCN2956.jpg

i have been plodding on slowly with the build.

thank you.
tony.

Wow.

A labor of love and a truly remarkable build on a very original theme. This is going to be a winner!

Tony, I came across your build of the Vickers 163 while doing some research of my own. I am working on a 1/144 scale - obviously non- flying- model of this aircraft. A couple of the photographs I have been able to find show a row of bombs along the bottom of the fuselage. It looks like four (or two parallel rows of four?) that are semi-recessed. Do your plans have a view of the bottom of the fuselage? Do you have any further information on how the bomb load was to be carried? By the way, your model is stunning! You can contact me, if it is convenient, at bpbittern@frontiernet.net Thank you. Regards, Nick Filippone