VG Lightning

overscan (PaulMM)

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Posted by gengriz in what if modelers forum. Quite close to the real VG Lightning project.

Attachments

• s02qstbd.jpg
    s02qstbd.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 689
  • s08underside.jpg
    s08underside.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 584
Fantastic work and effort in creating this model of the proposed Lightning VG.

I have never been to impress with the Lightning as such. It has always seemed to me to be a very limited design, that is to obviously a slap up improvement of a prototype, that was put into production as a cheap and nasty alternative to a real combat design – limited in both range and armament and most importantly room for improvement and modification to keep it effective. Saying this credit must be give to its climb-rate and acceleration.
It is no wonder that it did not have a good export potential – I have always thought Saudi Arabia and Kuwait only purchased it because of their political affiliation with Britain at the time!
I am curious as to how the lightning was in the way of turn radius, what with its very unorthodox wing design? – Does anyone have anything on the Lightning in this for of manoeuvrability?

Well I think the Lightning VG would have been a far more versatile design than the standard beefed up prototype Lightning design, with far greater growth potential and weapons capability.
Britains loss!

P.S. How about a 3-view layout photo of this model out of curiosity?

Regards
Pioneer

I have never been to impress with the Lightning as such. It has always seemed to me to be a very limited design, that is to obviously a slap up improvement of a prototype, that was put into production as a cheap and nasty alternative to a real combat design – limited in both range and armament and most importantly room for improvement and modification to keep it effective. Saying this credit must be give to its climb-rate and acceleration.

Sorry what I ment was a high-speed research aircraft - and not prototype.
Sorry!

Regards
Pioneer

VG Lightning drawings here

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=468.msg3349#msg3349