USMC ‘Secret’ Amtracs

Here a side view of the AAV7 with the Sheridan Turret armed with the M68 105mm.

Think this be the Thread to post it in, got the other images of this creature.

Attachments

• FpBOjcFWcAM3Ig2.jpg
    FpBOjcFWcAM3Ig2.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 44
LVTEX3001.jpg

Via the SNAFU blog, a larger colour version of the LVTEX-3 photo that xiaofan posted over in the 'Info on FMC's XM765 AIFV, XM723 AIFV and LVT(X) designs?' thread.
Was going to say that looks like an LVTP-7 with an M551 Sheridan turret fitted with a 105mm gun, then lo and behold:

And now a chunky turret ??
Perhaps reaching point where some-one says, "Riding too deep, need more buoyancy, make the hull longer..."

This reminds me of the Chinese ZTL-05 amphibious SPG. Although I assume the Sheridan/AAV7 hybrid was not meant as an SPG. Do you know what the intended role of this vehicle was?

This reminds me of the Chinese ZTL-05 amphibious SPG. Although I assume the Sheridan/AAV7 hybrid was not meant as an SPG. Do you know what the intended role of this vehicle was?
I'd guess as an Assault Gun, like the M10 Booker MPF.

Something to blast bunkers, and have the ability to pop tanks in case of emergency.

Are bunkers still a feature of combat? And couldn't they be better targeted with either missiles or shoulder fired weapons where encountered? Bunkers are rather last century.

Are bunkers still a feature of combat? And couldn't they be better targeted with either missiles or shoulder fired weapons where encountered? Bunkers are rather last century.

Bunkers are still going strong, as are trenches, foxholes, and tank guns.

Besides, this was from some time around 1970, before guided anything was common.

Yes they are.

They are a cheap and easy way to set up a kill box that will murder inflanty.

Throw in all the new fancy tech from Thermals to counter thermals to 18 different other fun toys.

Its not unlikely for a bunker get multiple shots off before even being found cause they see the inflanty before they see it. A properally set up bunker will be an utter PITA to deal with.

To say nothing of structures or urban hell fighting.

The only people who think they are Last century are REMFs who never had to deal with the adhoc deals the Terrorist SOB made in the Deserts or Mountains let alone proper ones that the military's engineers the world build in their spare time for training. A bunker set up right WILL see the enemy before they see it*, and will have taken measures to ensure that missiles or aircraft cant find the thing, while the bunker crew will be prioritizing any shoulder fire weapon for instant death. So even 2 soldiers with a MG in a hole with some decent covering can stop multiple times their number. Get a series of the them with over lapping cross fire and suddenly the Battalion been stopped by a platoon worth of people.

And the best way to deal with them is often an armor box with a big gun. Case a 105mm HE/AT/ESH is far cheaper then any rocket let alone a missile.

*And in modern warfare he who see first kills first and likely wins.

Are bunkers still a feature of combat? And couldn't they be better targeted with either missiles or shoulder fired weapons where encountered?
105mm shells are significantly cheaper than Javelins, and have more boom than a Charlie G (on top of being more accurate and with better sensors than the Carl Gustav 84mm)