• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

USAF plans F-15 modernization

AN/AWW-14(V)

ACCESS: Granted
Reaction score
EIsTsPAW4AAOu_r.jpg

FY20 - USAF will start work for MUOS Satcom integration on the F-15C/D and F-15E

Last edited:

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
Nothing that I have read so far mentions anything specific but elevators skins are made of composites since Eagle inception, that we know. Here it does appear as if they are sharing the same revetement. So either the wing is now made of old epoxy matrix or everything was re-designed.

TomS

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
There are some comments in the article below about the F-15QA wing being a new structural design with old aerodynamics.

https://www.flightglobal.com/helico...15s-pave-upgrade-path-for-usaf/127193.article

In an interview with FlightGlobal on 22 February, Parker also confirmed the F-15QA also will be delivered with a redesigned wing that strengthens the internal structure without changing the aerodynamics,. The redesign was made possible by using advanced new manufacturing techniques developed within Boeing in the last few years, he adds.

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
F-15SA wings for USAF F--15E:
“In June 2018, the 409th SCMS partnered with the F-15 System Program Office, the F-15 Foreign Military Saudi case manager, and Worldwide Redistribution Service representatives to determine the feasibility of purchasing Royal Saudi Air Force F-15SA wings that were removed during a fleet retrofit and scheduled for destruction,” he said.

After completing a business case analysis of several wing procurement initiatives, Hudson said the decision was made to buy the F-15SA wings.

AGS-1787

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
I wish they would post the flight testing videos with the new flight by wire system, They should have called f-25 or something like that. It might not be stealth but it is going to be a beast

Foo Fighter

I came, I saw, I drank some tea (and had a bun).
Reaction score
The media people are confused enough as it is, changing the name would make them suggest it as an all new aircraft and "Why is it not a stealthy aircraft"?

BDF

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
“I believe this is the most lethal and survivable jet that's on the market today and I say that because the battlespace effects that this airplane can provide are on par or exceed what you can do with an LO [low observable] platform that has restrictions. This jet has 30,000 lb of things we can put on the wings and the fuselage,” adds Giese. “No one’s going to match that. Then if you marry that up with the radar and the EW system, I would argue — even as a guy that flew the F-22 for 12 years — that this platform produces battlespace effects — which is what the commanders care about — that are equal or better than what an LO platform can do, that’s based on power, size, payload, and capacity.

Ignoring the fact that this airplane, as good as it is, is enabled by LO platforms. Nice sales pitch though...

Mark Nankivil

Top Contributor
Reaction score
A few pics of EX on its return from its first flight. Shot 4 missed approaches before landing - gave me plenty of opportunities to take pics...

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

• zMG_0327.jpg
    zMG_0327.jpg
    306.8 KB · Views: 58
  • zMG_0339.jpg
    zMG_0339.jpg
    349.1 KB · Views: 34
  • zMG_0362.jpg
    zMG_0362.jpg
    394.4 KB · Views: 32
  • zMG_0286.jpg
    zMG_0286.jpg
    441.8 KB · Views: 33
  • zMG_0307.jpg
    zMG_0307.jpg
    448.8 KB · Views: 61

TomS

Reaction score
Not wanting to open a debate but those are not the same things...

Correct, they are not the same thing but they are connected. If the plane did touch and gos (as reported in WarZone), it also flew missed approaches, because that's how touch-and-gos work. You fly the approach, touch-down, fail to stop, then fly a missed approach up and away from the runway. So why "correct" Mark when he mentioned missed approaches?

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
A pair of Strike Eagles were used for this week strike above Syria (that would explain the brief 4min warning to the Russians):
A pair of U.S. Air Force F-15E Strike Eagle fighter jets dropped seven precision-guided munitions Thursday during airstrikes on a remote compound in eastern Syria used by Iranian-backed militias.

The strikes destroyed nine buildings in a compound along the border and damaged two others, Pentagon officials confirmed on Friday.

Last edited:

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
Rumors around 20 F-15EX for Korea:
the F-15K, the flagship of the Air Force, is also old, so the time to improve its performance is coming. The existing mechanical radar is replaced with the latest active array scanning (AESA) radar, and avionics equipment is also subject to replacement. The cost of performance improvement alone exceeds the 5 trillion won, costing 90 billion won per F-15K. Recently, the price of the US Lockheed Martin stealth fighter F-35A has dropped to less than KRW 90 billion per unit. Some people are talking about a specific amount, such as about 3.4 trillion won for the F-15K performance improvement project cost, and 5 trillion won for the introduction of 20 F-15EX units, including about 2 trillion won.

Last edited:

sferrin

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
A shame they didn't give any details. Given the current state of headlines from, well, almost everybody, I'd guess there are a slew of asterisks behind the claim. "Longest range shot from a US F-15 over the Gulf of Meixco" or something.

rooster

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
No way that can be considering the tomcat had kills approaching 150 miles. Maybe it was flying through the jet stream and launched at mach 2+ with a long glide from a ballistic profile..... I imagine this was a science experiment that couldn't be an every day use

sferrin

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
No way that can be considering the tomcat had kills approaching 150 miles. Maybe it was flying through the jet stream and launched at mach 2+ with a long glide from a ballistic profile..... I imagine this was a science experiment that couldn't be an every day use
Always wondered how far an AIM-54C (or AIM-47 with it's original Mach 6 motor) launched from an F-12B at Mach 3.2 and 80,000 feet would fly.