US towed mortar (XM 139?)

uk 75

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about a US project for a heavy calibre Russian style towed mortar from the 70s. I think it had the designation XM 139?

UK 75

I don't know how much this will help, but I believe that the system was to be a replacement for the venerable (read obsolescent) 4.2" mortar of WWII vintage. Given that the US Army eventually went with a 120MM mortar, this may have also been designed as a heavy weapon (120MM or above), but I'm not really positive. I do know that the eventually accepted weapons are designated the M-120 (towed) and M-121 (SP).

Thanks Ranger

I gather I have got the designation wrong, apparently it was XM 193. Apparently the weapon was dreamt up in the 1970s in response to the large number of towed heavy calibre mortars in Soviet service. There is supposed to be a picture in a German magazine somewhere.

UK 75

Managed to get some more info on the XM 193 mortar. Apparently it was a design proposed in the 70s as an alternative to the abortive XM 204 105mm towed howitzer. I have seen a small picture and it is virtually a copy of the Russian 140mm (?) or thereabouts heavy towed mortar. Neither weapon seems to have been chosen and the US had to buy the British 105mm light gun.

The US seems to have had a hard time with its artillery in the 70s. Various replacements were proposed for the M109 gun from 1969 on (no photos of these or drawings seem to have survived). The M109 soldiers on to the present, having outlasted all attempts to replace it.

The latest attempts to replace both the above, the Crusader 155mm SPG and the 155mm Vickers towed gun also seem to have failed. Maybe the US will have to buy a Chinese or South African weapon instead.

UK 75

uk 75 said:
The latest attempts to replace both the above, the Crusader 155mm SPG and the 155mm Vickers towed gun also seem to have failed. Maybe the US will have to buy a Chinese or South African weapon instead.
Actually, the US is going ahead with low-rate production of the NLOS-C from the FCS program (independent of the main FCS program). The first ones should enter service with the Army in 2009. Whether it survives to actual service is anyone's guess.

There was an article on it over at Defensenews.com, but I'll be danged if I can find it now.

Image shows the NLOS-Cannon (less L/38 tube) being integrated onto the surrogate chassis.

http://www.defense-update.com/products/n/NLOS-Canon-FCS.htm

Before NLOS-Cannon was BAE's NLOS-C Concept Technology Demonstrator using the M777. But, back on the subject of mortars, there is also the planned FCS NLOS-Mortar

http://www.defense-update.com/products/n/NLOS-mortar-FCS.htm

BTW, the South African LEO turret on a LAV III hull was meant as an interim solution that fit with the Stryker Brigade concept. The problem was/is that the performance of Denel's gun relied on using non-NATO standard 105mm rounds. BAE was also working on a LAV III-based LW155.

Attachments

• nlos-c.jpg
    nlos-c.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 162