US Navy Emerlec EX-73 20mm weapon mount

Bulldoghunter01

ACCESS: Restricted
Joined
19 April 2022
Messages
8
Reaction score
10
I remember reading about a 20 mm mount that was was either twin or quad mount and it was a experimental twin or quad mount and my memory of it from the pictures it was in like either a ball mount type turret or spree shaped turret and it may have been tested in Vietnam but I don't remember and I couldn't find anything so I was hoping some one on here could help if figure out what it was
 
I remember reading about a 20 mm mount that was was either twin or quad mount and it was a experimental twin or quad mount and my memory of it from the pictures it was in like either a ball mount type turret or spree shaped turret and it may have been tested in Vietnam but I don't remember and I couldn't find anything so I was hoping some one on here could help if figure out what it was

I didn't find anything ball-shaped from the Vietnam era.

There was the Emerlec EX-73, a twin mount that could carry either twin .50 Cal or twin 20mm guns. It was tested on Tucumcari (PGH-2) and was a predecessor to the more familiar EX-74 twin 30mm.

Attached shows an EX-73 aft on the PGH.
 

Attachments

  • ebfa2b5d47be73f1e3338f9852bbb3e4c6181e64.jpeg
    ebfa2b5d47be73f1e3338f9852bbb3e4c6181e64.jpeg
    312.9 KB · Views: 63
There was the WW 2 Elco "Thunderbolt" mount with 4 x 20mm and 2 x .50

U6yu__dQcqjum5GIxtJyoeglRws0VETUtL7pCT9peIA.png


This mount was powered and operated by a single gunner.
 
I didn't find anything ball-shaped from the Vietnam era.

There was the Emerlec EX-73, a twin mount that could carry either twin .50 Cal or twin 20mm guns. It was tested on Tucumcari (PGH-2) and was a predecessor to the more familiar EX-74 twin 30mm.

Attached shows an EX-73 aft on the PGH.
Thank you that was what I was looking for. , I remember reading about 3 or 4 or so years ago and som reason It just popped back in my brain box and I couldn't remember for the life of me. And was it ever tested on any patrol type boats for the US Navy because that was where I remember learning about from.
 
Thank you that was what I was looking for. , I remember reading about 3 or 4 or so years ago and som reason It just popped back in my brain box and I couldn't remember for the life of me. And was it ever tested on any patrol type boats for the US Navy because that was where I remember learning about from.

Tucumcari was a patrol hydrofoil, basically seen as a possible replacement for the Nasty PTFs. Along with a competing design (PGH-1 Flagstaff) she did make one Vietnam deployment and took part in Operation Market Time, so that might have been what you heard about.
 

Similar threads

Back
Top Bottom