US/NATO Post-WWII Aircraft Camouflage/Markings Development

flateric

ACCESS: USAP
Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
looking for any info (papers/books/articles) regarding development of camouflage schemes
something like Schiffer Books 'US ARMY AIR FORCES AIRCRAFT MARKINGS AND CAMOUFLAGE 1941-1947' by Robert Archer but for postwar period till current
any advices?

I don't know of any, but I too would be very interested in a book like that.

I don't know of any one book that covers all that but here are three that contain some Post-WWII U.S. Navy information.

Color Schemes and Markings U.S. Navy Aircraft 1911 - 1950 by Bill C. Kilgrain.

Navy Air Colors: Unites States Navy, Marine Corps and Coast Guard Aircraft Camouflage and Markings Vol. 2 1945 - 1985 by Tom Doll, Berkley R. Jackson and William A Riley. Squadron Signal Publications.

The Official Monogram US Navy & Marine Corps Aircraft Color Guide Vol.2 1940 - 1949.

Additionally. The IPMS (International Plastic Modelers Society) Quarterly and Update publications along with the various local chapter pubs - like Crazed Plastic from the Gateway Chapter in St. Louis are good sources. A number of the Gateway members worked for McDonnell Douglas while the F-15 and FA-18 programs were getting up to speed and they provided updates on the colors and markings seen on those aircraft. The chapter even printed two color chip books using color samples direct from the assembly line. Back issues of national and chapter publications can be found on line and many times in the dealer rooms of modeling conventions and contests.