US Army - Lockheed Martin Long Range Precision Fires (LRPF)

The question isn't whether Ukraine wants them or not; the question is whether the US is willing to supply them or not. I suspect they are being held back due concerns about escalation and also as a card to play if there is a Russian escalation that the US considers unacceptable.
Aside from going nuclear, I'm not sure there are any more lines left to cross.

The question isn't whether Ukraine wants them or not; the question is whether the US is willing to supply them or not. I suspect they are being held back due concerns about escalation and also as a card to play if there is a Russian escalation that the US considers unacceptable.
An attack on a nato supply dump is about the only thing left besides nuke.

Which will have the same issue as the nukes.

I suspect they are being held back due concerns about escalation and also as a card to play if there is a Russian escalation that the US considers unacceptable.

They've got to stop self-detering, Putin is a blustering bully (And a coward) who only respects force.

On another note I won't be surprised at all if the events in Ukraine have caused the US DoD to accelerate the PrSM's LRIP manufacturing schedule.

Last edited:
To be completely cynical, the US benefits from a protracted war that bleeds Russia white rather than a Ukrainian victory that abruptly ended hostilities - not that I think that is possible without direct NATO intervention anyway. But less cynical and more practically, the very low risk of a society ending nuclear war is still understandably something to tip toe around when there isn't any huge strategic risk from Russia at this point. The ZSU could collapse tomorrow and the Russian army would still be a non threat to NATO outside a nuclear exchange; mission accomplished. There isn't a huge incentive for the US to push back on a conventionally broken opponent that at the same time is a peer nuclear power.

Well...

1664004804180.png

Exactly.

Well even the Houthi rebels now have a missile with 200nm range. :rolleyes:

I'm guessing that's an Iranian toy with a new coat of paint and the tags ripped off.

Well even the Houthi rebels now have a missile with 200nm range. :rolleyes:

I'm guessing that's an Iranian toy with a new coat of paint and the tags ripped off.
Correct-a-mundo.

Last edited:
  • the hypersonic Dark Eagle missile, whose classified range is estimated at over 1,700 miles;
  • the Mid-Range Capability (MRC), aka Typhon, which repurposes Navy SM-6s and Tomahawks for strikes at ranges of about 1,000miles; and
  • the Precision Strike Missile (PrSM), an all-new weapon designed to fit in existing HIMARS launchers and hit targets over 300 miles away.

US artillery seems to have really gone from luke warm to 11 inside the last decade. Tens of thousands of GPS guidance kits and rockets of ever longer ranges combined with a blossoming portfolio of long ranged missiles out to strategic ranges. Combined with new AI enabled ISR techniques one wonders if mechanized brigades will just operate as mop up squads in any future large scale war.

My plan 1000 per year baby :D

Not by Excalibur only… European arms group Leonardo offers high-precision guided ammunition Vulcano GLR with a range of… 100 km! Is classical artillery again becoming a competitor of rocket artillery? We will try to figure out.

Vulcano has been a family of unguided and guided sub-caliber munition for 76-mm, 127-mm and 155-mm artillery systems for some time. At the Eurosatory 2022 Defense Exhibition, Leonardo presented an updated version of the ammunition.

Army shifting $16 million from the S & T MAD-T Interceptor, Maneuver Short-Range Air Defense Technology program, cancelled in 2021 and transferring to PrSM to speed up production of the extended range ~1000 km PrSM Increment/Spiral 4 to 2026

https://insidedefense.com/insider/a...nge-precision-fires-tech-canceled-amd-project

Presuming the MAD-T interceptor replaced by the Stinger replacement, NGSRI, Next Generation Short-Ranged Interceptor, the bids from Boeing, Lockheed and Raytheon were due in last week, initial contract award plan Spring 2023.