covert_shores

Research + illustration
Reaction score
Website
www.hisutton.com

Two new catamarans, seemingly the same class (or at least very closely related), being built in parallel.

Here is the second one, incomplete. We know that it has missile bins (likely 8 anti0ship missiles) and a helipad.

1616511277841.png

The unfortunate reality about satellite imaging is that it is hard to tell if it is indeed a real ship, or just a mock-up to fool intelligence satellites. I do remember reading that the Iranians planned on making a visual copy of the Independence-Class littoral combat ship, so it could be related to that program. If it is indeed real, then it could pose a threat to operations in the area.

I have serious doubts about labeling these as low-observable vessels. The low-angle shots of IRIS Shahid Nazeri show lots of right angles and other shapes that are likely to be strong reflectors.

I suspect they are going for speed rather than stealth here, because it simplifies their C4ISR (targets won't move far between orders being given and implemented) and shrinks the US decision timelines, which they believe are too extended to respond rapidly to ambiguous threats.

A lot of those engineers have fled or been purged in the intervening years though.

I guess if they ever wanted to make a stealth vessel, they could always make a visual copy of an existing type. It save a lot of hassle.

New article on USNI with graphic based on latest images. At least 3 of these are under construction at three sites.

What are the odds that they got some design tips from Best Korea?

Unclear; Iranians are pretty good engineers by themselves (after all, they managed to keep F-14 up & running through the whole Iran-Iraq war & then four decades)
I just figured it was worth asking due to the fact that North Korea has experience with catamaran design going back to the 80s, and have the benefit of both a successful design in the Nongo class and the opposite in the Soho. Good chance to provide details on what works and what doesn't. Plus given their history of cooperation in naval technology, it seems to me that for the Iranians to not consult them would be a waste.
Edit: The Nongo is an SES, not just a catamaran.

Last edited:
just figured it was worth asking due to the fact that North Korea has experience with catamaran design going back to the 80s, and have the benefit of both a successful design in the Nongo class and the opposite in the Soho. Good chance to provide details on what works and what doesn't. Plus given their history of cooperation in naval technology, it seems to me that for the Iranians to not consult them would be a waste.

Possible, yes. On the other hand, this may be a completely unrelated developement.

IIRC, IRG fast launches are tricky targets unless hunting with drones / helos.

These 'fast cats' are more like conventional targets. Snag is they'd make nimble mine-layers, and be able to deploy fast launches...