Unknown WW2 german massive flying boat

Wurger

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Not sure if this as surfaced before. In 1942 Daimler-Benz designed a "gruppenmotor" with 48 cylinders, delivering 9000 HP, made up of four DB 603`s. It was intended as the powerplant for an undisclosed flying boat project, for which it was planned to tilt up the propeller shaft as you may see in image 3. Compare the (little) DB 609 installation in image 1 to the big engine in image 2.
The wing cord was to be massive so, do you know about the would-be flying boat due to be equiped with this engine?

First image kindly supplied by Justo, taken from Flugzeug magazine 5/1991, the others taken from "Flugmotoren und Strahltriebwerke", published by Bernard & Graefe and authored by Gersdorff/Schubert/Ebert.

Attachments

• DB 609 Empurra.jpg
    DB 609 Empurra.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 502
  • DB Gruppenmotor.jpg
    DB Gruppenmotor.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 445
  • DB Motor para barco voador.jpg
    DB Motor para barco voador.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 426
I just wanted to say - thanks, this is really interesting.

Würger said:
.. do you know about the would-be flying boat due to be equiped with this engine?

Sorry, no, but "massive flying boat" and especially the upward tiltable pusher props are somehow
crying "Dornier". Maybe the latter can give a rough idea of the size ? This arrangement was used in the
Do 26 and Do 212 to keep the props clear of spray, something in a flying of the size of, say, the Do 214
or Do 216 would hardly have been necessary, I think. So maybe a smaller type, than the 216 with two
of those engines ?

what cross my mind looking that Daimler-Benz "gruppenmotor"

Dornier Do 214 that needed eight DB 603, the "gruppenmotor" would reduce that to 2 with Pusher propellors
and Dornier is one of few germans aircraft manufactures proposed pusher props on there Aircraft

Somewhere I have this report. Its mostly about cooling installations for such an engine. I don't recall any specific application being mentioned.

Somewhere I have this report. Its mostly about cooling installations for such an engine. I don't recall any specific application being mentioned.

Sienar, I (we?) would love to see that report! The flying-boat for whom the "gruppenmotor" was intended is mentioned in "Flugmotoren...".