Unknown USAF supersonic VTOL Fighter competition from 1959

nugo

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
"Air Force Plans competition for new VTOL contract.

Last manned combat aircraft ordered by the Air Force will probably be a supersonic VTOL. Preliminary
arrangements are being drawn up for a design competition among American manufacturers. Funds for evaluation of proposals are available and the contract will probably be assigned and financed during fiscal 1961. Winner of the competition will supply stripped-down VTOL prototypes that are able to
fly faster than present fighters, i. e. , faster than 1400-1500 mph. Design entries are expected from Northrop, Convair, Bell, McDonnell, and Republic."

source: Machine Design, 1959, N 26, 24 December, page 23
and picture of Ryan X-13 Vertijet.

We can suggest the projects,as follows; Ryan Model-182,McDonnell M-175,
Republic AP-106 and Bell may be a version of D-188.

I have no pics of Republic's AP-106 or McDonnell's Model 175, but the numbers seem to be in the right time frame. However, I know the Ryan Model 182, and I very much doubt it was meant to be supersonic. Do you have evidence of this?

Attachments

• Ryan-Model182-1.gif
    Ryan-Model182-1.gif
    40.8 KB · Views: 1,320
Hi All!

Is what I sought and obtained, my Friends:

USAF unknown VTOL Fighter competition---"With this goal in mind, March 27, 1958, the Air Force issued General Operational Requirement (GOR) Number 169, calling for Weapon System 649C, which was a Mach 2+, 60,000 foot altitude, all-weather fighter capable of vertical and short takeoff and landing. The Air Force wanted this aircraft to be ready for operational deployment by 1964.
This GOR lasted only a year. GOR 169 was cancelled on March 29, 1959, the Air Force recognizing that a V/STOL fighter capable of such performance was simply not feasible with the current technology."
(General Dynamics F-111 History by Joe Baugher)

And so this competition---GOR-169/WS-649C,
then:
1) Convair Model ?
2) Bell Model D-188 (version) or D-?
3) McDonnell Model 14? (or Model 15?) (not Model 175)
4) Northrop Model 19? or Model 20?
5) Republic Model AP-100

The beginning of the competition that reason, apart from these firms, other firms involved (example
Boeing with his Model 818 and so on), but later left these five firms.

Well, let's discuss this topic, my Friends.

Machdiamond said:
The highly swept wings only make sense for supersonics, that should be the evidence.

I beg to differ ;)
Gust response at high subsonic speed/low altitude also requires high sweep (decreases the CL alpha). Structurally, the delta wing offers a lot of absolute thickness for a given airfoil thickness-to-chord to embed a large diameter fan.

Stargazer2006 said:
I have no pics of Republic's AP-106 or McDonnell's Model 175, but the numbers seem to be in the right time frame. However, I know the Ryan Model 182, and I very much doubt it was meant to be supersonic. Do you have evidence of this?

Hi,

Vague recollection, In the early to mid sixties there was an article in possibly Aeroplane, a UK weekly magazine about some early Ryan supersonic fighter proposals or ideas for USAF. It’s a long time ago but I thought they looked very good. Bit like a VTOL Eagle but much earlier.
Can any one help?

What you are describing reminds me of an Air Pictorial from 1962-63 or so that my dad used to have. The Models 182, 186C and 187B were briefly described and pictured in plan form. I don't have it with me but that could be the one.

Just put Ryan 186C in the searchbar and you
will have these projects..and much more.

AeroFranz said:
Machdiamond said:
The highly swept wings only make sense for supersonics, that should be the evidence.

I beg to differ ;)
Gust response at high subsonic speed/low altitude also requires high sweep (decreases the CL alpha). Structurally, the delta wing offers a lot of absolute thickness for a given airfoil thickness-to-chord to embed a large diameter fan.

One of the biggest reasons for the swept leading edge is also the q-limit, which is usually your limiting factor in the low/fast end of the flight envelope.

Hi hesham!

I know that N-251 a late project and could not participate in the GOR-169/WS-649C competitionб
and this proposal of Boeing Model 818/GOR-169/WS-649C (on the left, below, which is very similar to
Republic AP-100):

Attachments

• tfx1[1].JPG
    tfx1[1].JPG
    559.4 KB · Views: 1,280
and more on this topic sources:

Aviation Week,1959, Vol. 70, No.6, Feb. 9, page 28(or 28-? (?)) (Convair Division of General Dynamics/Bell SDR-12 proposal)
Aviation Week, 1960, Vol. 72, No.5, Feb.1, "USAF Plans Operational Mach 2 VTOL", page.38-39,41-42,45(or 43, or 44),49.
and who please can show us (in our town library no these magazines).

Hi,

why we avoid Ryan,I don't see any logical reason.

hesham said:
why we avoid Ryan,I don't see any logical reason.

Hi,

as in AW article,Ryan maybe also involved.

http://archive.aviationweek.com/search?QueryTerm=northrop+V%2FSTOL&DocType=Article&sort=

http://archive.aviationweek.com/issue/19600201#!&pid=38

Attachments

• 2.png
    2.png
    136.4 KB · Views: 372
  • 3.png
    3.png
    460.5 KB · Views: 353
From Gallica.

Attachments

• Marine___organe_de_liaison_[...]Association_des_bpt6k5326306n_58.jpeg
    Marine___organe_de_liaison_[...]Association_des_bpt6k5326306n_58.jpeg