Staff member
Reaction score
I'd like to know the identity of that missile under these Royal Navy Phantom II

Many Thanks

Attachments

• Air_Progress_feb_67.jpg
    Air_Progress_feb_67.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 597
That strake along the side of the missile reminds me of the AJ.168 Martel, but the main fins are wrong.

Starviking

Possibly the AS-33/34 the missile developed from the AS-30 that was earmarked for TSR2. The design was sold off to West Germany to become the basis of the Kormorran whilst Aerospatiale revamped the design for both the AS-37 Martel and AS-39 Exocet.

I would guess the artist was supposed to do Martel and used the AS-34 design as its basis.

There is mention in a book on the Buccaneer that the MARTEL kit in the cockpit had originally been intended for the Phantom and the F111.

The Japanese firm Tamiya did a 1:100 scale Phantom in RN colours in kitform complete with MARTEL missiles. The artist may have copied his picture from the Tamiya catalogue or boxart.

UK 75

Perhaps it was Red Top.

There was a proposal to fit Red Top to the Phantom to give it a longer range IR missile than Sidewinder for use in ECM environments; it was not proceeded with due to the high cost of Red Top; £18,000 as opposed to approximately £6,000 for a Sparrow 6(b) and £3,900 for a Sidewinder.
Red Top's performance was assessed as similar to Sparrow in a non-ECM environment.

Source: DEFE 69/489.

SRJ.

Back
Top Bottom