Unknown Missile to ID

circle-5

ACCESS: Top Secret
Top Contributor
Reaction score
This model came from an estate on Long Island. Here's my very unprofessional opinion: the Ferri scoop intake suggests Republic Aircraft circa late 1950s. The size of the intake may be for a ramjet, which also explains the twin rocket side boosters. There was probably a large, first-stage rocket booster, which appears to be missing. This would likely have been a ground-launched missile, because of the tall fin (unless it flies with the fin down, like an RP-76). Maybe it's some kind of Mach 3-4 unmanned interceptor missile like the Bomarc ...

I would be most grateful if someone in the SPF brain trust could identify this.

Attachments

• Unknown Missile 01.jpg
    Unknown Missile 01.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 491
  • Unknown Missile 02.jpg
    Unknown Missile 02.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 489
  • Unknown Missile 03.jpg
    Unknown Missile 03.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 472
I have no data on this one, but it *might* not have been unmanned. If it was designed to cruise at Mach Lickety-Split, the canopy could well have been small and flush, and thus would not appear on an unpainted model like this. The fairings, though, argue for solid rocket boosters (thus a smallish missile) or, just maybe, turbojets that tap into the ramjet inlet.

But yeah, more likely a missile.

circle-5 said:
This would likely have been a ground-launched missile, because of the tall fin (unless it flies with the fin down, like an RP-76).

Unlikely, because of the holes underneath which suggest a stand or attachment points for wind-tunnel tests, most likely below the aircraft.
Yeah, definitely has a Republic feel to it.

Looks a lot like a larger version of the Blue Steel nuclear missile that the Vulcan strategic bomber carried in the 1960's as part of Britain's independent nuclear deterrent.

Looks like an early stage or a variant of the North American X-10/G-26/G-38/SM-64 Navaho Program, in particular from underneath.

https://www.deviantart.com/sfreeman421/art/North-American-X-10-Navaho-447244704

Previously unseen version of the Republic SD-4 Swallow?

Maybe an early concept for what became the XF-103 or AP-57 (circa 1950-51)? The large exhaust could be a ramjet system using two rockets on both sides of the aircraft for acceleration in order for the aircraft to obtain an operational speed for the effective use of the ramjet. Or, possibly after the XF-107 and F-105 competition, Republic may have been interested in the incorporation of the VAID system of the the Ultra Sabre into a future interceptor (circa 1955)?

The consensus seems to be something from Republic Aircraft in the 1950s, to which I agree. The pointy delta wings and canard were a staple of Kartveli designs back then (SD-4 Swallow, AP-75, XF-103, etc.) BTW, the reason this model looks a bit crude is because it's very small (less than 6 inches). It obviously came off something else.

Except for a few files at the Cradle of Aviation museum, all the Republic archives were unfortunately destroyed, so it might remain a mystery (I wish I could dispense a bit of frontier justice to whoever gave that order ...)

if that's a missile, could be a competitor Design for AGM-28 ?

This would be at home among the Mach 3 - 4 sea planes of the 50s.

To me the traces of soot could point to how the model was used. Half body exposed with the frwd underbelly stuck to a surface. The extrados is burnt also on aone side (right).

I wonder if this was not a composite airframe, one that was carried under the belly of a fast bomber, let's say a B-58 as the planar surfaces are extensive. The moel would have been tested in a high speed wind tunnel, hence its small size and the half exposure.

Notice:
in my theory, the thing is attached inverted under the belly of a B-58 type of bomber and roll from inverted position after launch.

FighterJock said:
Looks a lot like a larger version of the Blue Steel nuclear missile that the Vulcan strategic bomber carried in the 1960's as part of Britain's independent nuclear deterrent.

FighterJock appears to be correct.
The model appears to be extremely similar to a number of Blue Steel derived designs.
Suggest checking against the British Secret Project Books as well as as the Thor’s Hammer book on the UK airborne nuclear deterrent.

Looks to me like an air-to-surface weapon to mount under an bomber conformally.

Configuration is quite similar to the Tu-141. Later variant/proposal?

I don't think its anything related to Blue Steel, its far more probable this is an American design.

I agree its probably some kind of semi-conformal stand-off missile but it does look very similar to the SM-64 Navaho and so could be ground-launched. I also wonder if this wasn't a high speed reconnaissance drone.
I don't think its manned, a flush cockpit is possible but I don't think there is room in the nose section for it.

Look, there is also the possibility that this is a rocket airplane with side vents and what we understand to be a supersonic inlet is only a cut section to let multiple test of cockpit configuration. We have to keep in mind that this is a tunnel test model designed to be modular to test multiple configuration at once ;)

The two fairings either side of the tail look like boosters. Never seen the like on an actual aircraft so imho, it is a weapon rather than an aircraft.

Foo Fighter said:
The two fairings either side of the tail look like boosters. Never seen the like on an actual aircraft so imho, it is a weapon rather than an aircraft.

Booster rockets are typically designed to fall away, not be retained within fairings like this... especially in expendable vehicles. Unless it's a great simplification of jettisonable solid rockets, its a strange design feature no matter what.

Orionblamblam said:
Foo Fighter said:

Booster rockets are typically designed to fall away, not be retained within fairings like this... especially in expendable vehicles. Unless it's a great simplification of jettisonable solid rockets, its a strange design feature no matter what.

Could be for liquid rockets. There was a period of time where liquid rockets were installed (or considered) to assist with top end speed/altitude.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 249
sferrin said:
Could be for liquid rockets.

Maybe. But if so, why are the fairings so long? Liquid rockets and all their associated hardware are a lot stumpier than that. if you tried to fill up the rest of the fairing volume with liquid rocket propellant, you wouldn't get very much, certainly not enough to accelerate a missile of that size to ramjet velocity.

The NF-104A carried a 6,000 lb thrust hydrogen peroxide rocket with enough fuel for approximately 100 seconds. I can imagine a design with two rockets on both sides, especially when you consider the scale of the rocket engine and fairing on the NF-104. Unfortunately, if the unknown model design is a ramjet, the boosters (if that's what they are) would most likely require that the aircraft be air launched, accelerated under booster power, and then the ramjet ignited. The booster rockets would require too much fuel to take off, climb, and accelerate to ramjet speed (unless it carried drop tanks, but that is not modeled, and there is also a considerable drag penalty).

Attachments

• Lockheed_NF-104A Rocket.jpg
    Lockheed_NF-104A Rocket.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 226
Orionblamblam said:
sferrin said:
Could be for liquid rockets.

Maybe. But if so, why are the fairings so long? Liquid rockets and all their associated hardware are a lot stumpier than that. if you tried to fill up the rest of the fairing volume with liquid rocket propellant, you wouldn't get very much, certainly not enough to accelerate a missile of that size to ramjet velocity.

Don't know. It reminded me of this setup:

Attachments

• 5ec9c1462acae4f626210b4d5ee56465--air-planes-design.jpg
    5ec9c1462acae4f626210b4d5ee56465--air-planes-design.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 146
Hi All !

100%

1) This is a American design
2) It is a unmanned vehicle
3) main engine: turbojet+ramjet or ramjet

50%-50%

maybe unknown wingwed space vehicle