Unknown Rotorcraft to Marine OVX Light Observation requirement

circle-5

ACCESS: Top Secret
Top Contributor
Reaction score
This one has me puzzled. The powerplant and rotor system are likely to be Sikorsky's ABC (Advancing Blade Rotor), because of the fixed (non-rotating) sail fairing between the rotors. Beyond that, I can only speculate – could it be an alternate study by Sikorsky for AAFSS? I hope the SPF Brain Trust will know!

Attachments

• Sikorsky ABC?.jpg
    Sikorsky ABC?.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 447
Great find my dear Circle-5,

and that's concept was nearly to Gyrodyne work ?.

circle-5 said:
This one has me puzzled. The powerplant and rotor system are likely to be Sikorsky's ABC (Advancing Blade Rotor), because of the fixed (non-rotating) sail fairing between the rotors. Beyond that, I can only speculate – could it be an alternate study by Sikorsky for AAFSS? I hope the SPF Brain Trust will know!

How certain is it that this is a Sikorsky design? I've tinkered with the tail to bring out the logo, but, apart from looking like a velociraptor it doesn't immediately remind me of any corporate logos I'm aware of.

The aircraft itself looks not entirely unlike the Ryan "Disk Rotor" COIN aircraft from the 60's:
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,22016.msg16218.html#msg16218

Attachments

• Sikorsky tail.png
    Sikorsky tail.png
    9.2 KB · Views: 408
Orionblamblam said:
How certain is it that this is a Sikorsky design? I've tinkered with the tail to bring out the logo, but, apart from looking like a velociraptor it doesn't immediately remind me of any corporate logos I'm aware of.

The bird is pointing the wrong way for North American or Grumman. If it's a shooting star and not a bird, could be Lockheed.

George Allegrezza said:
Orionblamblam said:

The bird is pointing the wrong way for North American or Grumman. If it's a shooting star and not a bird, could be Lockheed.

The aircraft type below the logo looks like "OVX" (I think). A VTOL Bronco? Anything was possible, back in those days ...

Attachments

• OVX.jpg
    OVX.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 366
I look with graphic program on Picture

This model is labeled with "127" "MARINES" "OVW" "41574" and triangular logo like arrow

had Kaman Aircraft not a arrow like logo in 1960s ? (i don't know)

from the fuselage it look like contender for COIN and LARA program

So OVX was a requirement for a Marine light observation aircraft in 1976 - 1978 timeframe. This fits the general look of the design.

https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=OVX%E2%80%94+Marine+light+observation+aircraft#q=OVX%E2%80%94+Marine+light+observation+aircraft&tbm=bks

And it is mentioned in Aviation Week, January 31st 1977...

Attachments

• OVX.jpg
    OVX.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 326
I assume there are no more pictures? Given the timeframe, it's more likely Sikorsky than not, given the ABC-style rotor blades.

Some possible leads:

Military potential of the ABC. G Price (United Technologies Corp., Sikorsky Aircraft Div , Stratford. CT). Vertiflite. vol 28 Nov-Dec 1982
Fifty Years of Sikorsky High Speed Concepts, Arthur W. Linden. Presented at the 64th AHS Annual Forum, Montreal, Canada, April 29 - May 1, 2008.
The ABC Rotor – A Historical Perspective, Robert K. Burgess. Presented at the 60th AHS Annual Forum, Baltimore, MD, June, 2004

Pretty sure they won't have anything specific on this, but you never know...

Old Sikorsky logo?

Attachments

• Sikorsky_logo4.jpg
    Sikorsky_logo4.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 334
Arjen said:
Old Sikorsky logo?

yes, a very old one

If this Model is a Bronco OV successor, it's not from Rockwell they had different logo in 1970s

I don't think that's a manufacturer's logo. I think it's a (possibly fictional) squadron insignia.

God I love this forum! :)

Just to add to the conundrum, didn't Hughes Aircraft also tinker with coaxial?

My bet would have to be Lockheed or Sikorsky.

yasotay said:

Yes my dear yasotay,

we forget Hughes.

How about Kamov?
Worldwide known in contra-rotating helicopters ;D

P.S. The aircraft looks awesome, like to see it - a real flying predator, mix of Bronco and Sheyene

PaulMM (Overscan) said:

Paul, I think you nailed it – I agree with Sikorsky OVX unless proven otherwise. Sorry, there are no other photos. Pity.

circle-5 said:
PaulMM (Overscan) said:

Paul, I think you nailed it – I agree with Sikorsky OVX unless proven otherwise. Sorry, there are no other photos. Pity.

Think this is right, but, from the article Paul posted: "...derived from an aircraft type already operational within the Navy at the time." Does this imply North American? Teaming of course is an option.

I don't think that means what you think it does. 'At the time' is future, not current day, so the implication is a modification of one of the other planned new Navy / Marine programs discussed in the article, including for example Type A and Type B V/STOL designs. OVX was in the earliest phase of concept definition at the time of the article.

Hi,

now I have a strongly feeling,that was a XV-19 Proposal,only my suggesting ?.

My bet would have to be Lockheed or Sikorsky.

Interesting. Never saw a Hughes concept with coaxials. Any additional infos?