Unknown Light Biz Jet

Mark Nankivil

ACCESS: Top Secret
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Good Day All -

I came across this work on NARA while searching for something else - works all the time! No info to go with it - any suggestions?

File name is the NARA info plus the stated date.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

• z255_GRC_1977_02176 Jun-10-77.jpg
    z255_GRC_1977_02176 Jun-10-77.jpg
    718.8 KB · Views: 116
The marking on the fin - think it may be a W for Williams?

Enjoy the Day! Mark

It's very familiar to me,and maybe Williams or W for designer ?.

Could this be a notional design by Williams Research for a very light jet using two of their very small turbofans? It wouldn't be the first time that an engine maker "stirred the pot" with hypothetical designs with their engines.

This was about the time that Foxjet was trying to enter the market as well.

1977 is the same time Williams opened their Ogden, UT manufacturing plant. It was also the year they started production of the F107 engine, which was a 700 lb thrust engine. The logo on the tail is definitely Williams logo. The engine was a 12 inch diameter engine which could easily be the represented engine in the picture. The picture is interesting as the engine almost looks like its pylon mounted on top of the wing similar to the Honda Jet.

My guess, its a Williams concept to promote the application of the Williams F107 jet in a light four-place business jet design.

Worked for Williams for several years. It’s definitely a notional design for an F107 powered very light jet. Williams International is very tightlipped about their institutional knowledge, very few of them actually became public. The best known is the Rutan designed V-jet II