United Aircraft of Canada Ltd. Aircraft Designs

Jemiba

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
United Aircraft of Canada Ltd., since 1975 known as Pratt & Whitney Canada drew a whole range of aircraft design
studies for determining applications for their JT15D engine during the late '60s, amongst them single to 3-engined
passenger aircraft and re-engined existing types.
Two studies, that were carried quite far were for a twin and a 3-engined commuter aircraft, shown below.
More detailed data are given in my source /Aviation Week February 1969) only for the 3-engined type:
Gross weight up to 25,000 lb, payload of 6,260 (4,800 lb pax, 720 lb baggage, 740 lb cargo), max. fuel
6,180 lb. TO field length according to FAR Part 121 of 3,410 ft at sea level and 7,100 ft at 5,000 ft altitude,
max. speed 332 kt, cruising speed 284 kt and 239 nm range + reserves.
These studies were mainly meant to prove the economical feasibility of turbo-fan powered commuter
aircraft, not really to be built, I think, that's why I posted it here.
(Sorry for the low quality drawings, quite small in the original source, I reversed and cleared them, but they
remain quite lousy)

Attachments

• UACL-16-place_Commuter.GIF
    UACL-16-place_Commuter.GIF
    9.3 KB · Views: 165
  • UACL-24-place_Commuter.GIF
    UACL-24-place_Commuter.GIF
    8.8 KB · Views: 164
Wow,very beautiful drawings my dear Jemiba.

UACL / P & W Canada was only known as engine manufacturer to me, too. But, as mentioned, those designs were
more related to their engines, than actually to be built. Nevertheless it would be interesting to see for example
the mentioned single engined pax a/c /biz jets. About the 3-engined type it is mentioned, that a variant with
only one engine in the tail and the other two pod mounted on each wing was studied, too. Would have been
a kind of VfW 614 with an additional engine, I think.
(Sketch speculative only, of course)

Attachments

• UACL-24-place_wing_engines.gif
    UACL-24-place_wing_engines.gif
    2.2 KB · Views: 136