UK Jet Aircraft Project to ID

There was a landplane version of it as well

Attachments

• P121.JPG
    P121.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 287
A translation of the relevant part of the caption is:
"The drawings on this page reproduce a study of simplification of the current fighter conducted in the monthly Aeronautics. Here a light fighter as imagined in Great Britain, with 6.10 wingspan and 8.50 length."

On reading the main text, its clear that the design is simply an unknown study illustrated in an British magazine from an article which seems to have discussed the light interceptor concept. I haven't heard of the magazine 'Aeronautics' before though. In any case, this is probably not from a manufacturer but a concept illustration the publisher did for their study/ article.

Interestingly Petter did present on the light fighter concept at the A.F.I.T.A. (l'Association Francaise des Ingenieurs et Techniciens de l'Aeronautique) in July 1953, but his concept was heavily based on the Midge/Gnat rather than a design like the one shown in this clipping. It must be born in mind that 1953 was the year the Gnat was unveiled and many columns of text in aviation magazines were devoted to its concept, even before its official unveiling. It's possible the drawing shown in Ali Nuove and taken from 'Aeronautics' was an attempt to illustrate what the Gnat concept looked like.

The rest of the caption refers to the other picture of the American Fletcher F.D.25 compared to the F-86 Sabre, a lightweight attack aircraft which the Japanese are alleged to have been interested in.

Many thanks to you my dears Bazinga and Hood,

and I think it was not Saro design,and maybe early study for Gnat ?.

I am very wary of assigning manufacturer's by 'style' alone.
There is nothing in the Italian article to identify the type other that it being an artists impression of a concept illustrated in 'Aeronautics'. Also, we can't be sure the Italian magazine hasn't redrawn it, so we can't judge the accuracy.

It's worth noting this design is actually smaller than the Folland Midge and Gnat.

Aeronautics was a British monthly journal edited by Major Oliver Stewart, M.C., A.F.C. which ceased publication in March 1962 and was founded by Stewart in 1939.
Stewart had been a ferry pilot and fighter pilot during the First World War and subsequently served as a test pilot at Orfordness and Martlesham Heath and became commandant of the Aeroplane and Armament Experimental Establishment. After leaving the RAF he was the aeronautical correspondents of ‘The Morning Post’ (1926–37), ‘The Times’ (1939), ‘The Evening Standard’ (1940) and ‘The Manchester Guardian’ (1941–58). Stewart had published analyses of fighters for his own magazine and others (including American and Canadian publications like 'Flying') as far back as the war. It would seem highly likely that this design was one of Stewart's creations to illustrate his analysis of the lightweight fighter, as inspired by Petter's work and others around that period. The Ali Nuove article seems to be a similar theme, an international overview of the light fighter concept.