• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

TZoli's Warship Designs

Tzoli

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
The Guided Missile Battleship Kii:

https://www.deviantart.com/tzoli/art/Guided-Missile-Battleship-Kii-629054242

Asked by a friend to draw a cold war era modernised Kii class battleship with missile launchers and such.
Here is the product of never were warship's could had been modernization's hypothetical Guided Missile refit!

I've replaced the 3rd 41cm twin turret with a twin RIM-8 Talos missile launcher with it's associated loading equipment. The should had been 12,7cm Type 89 DP-AA Guns were replaced by the 5" Mark 18 single gun turrets, all casemated 140mm and 25mm AA guns were removed and added British 40mm Bofors Mark V as well as various US radar systems.

The Skipper

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Jemiba said:
Great work and looking plausible as a ship between HMS Belfast and the KGVs. Could have been worthwhile
as a counter to the "Pocket Battleships". Smaller calibre guns, but double the number and better protection.
And as the Town class was originally envisaged to have four quadruple turrets, it may be plausible here, too.
It was a real design from 1939 when Winston Churchill proposed a Super Cruiser to fight enemy heavy cruisers.
These were to be the stats:

Dimensions: 220m x 25.6m x 7.3m
Displacement: 22,000tons
Engine Power: 154.000shp 4 shafts, 61km/h (33knots)
Range: 18.500km on 30km/h (10.000nm on 16knots)
Armour: 7inch belt, 4inch deck (178/102mm)
Armaments:
12, 9.2inch (234mm) Guns in 3 quad turrets
12, 4.5in (114mm) AA Guns in 6 twin turrets
16, 40mm AA Guns in 4 quad turrets

Further study not continued on the super cruiser type as 4 ships would cost more then 3 Vanguards!
Hypothetically speaking, would it have been possible to substitute 3 twin or triple 11" gun turrets for the 3 quadruple 9.2" turrets, while retaining the same displacement & dimensions?

Tzoli

Reaction score
Depending if you would accept Japanese philosophy of under armouring turrets as weight saving methods, otherwise the heavier shells, and turret armour would add weight to the 11" turrets. also depending on the / calibre as a longer gun would even increase the weight more so.

airman

Reaction score
Website
zeef.com
Great Tzoli : some alternate profile of warships inspire me especially the post war profile of japanese warships of ww2 .