Turkey wants to be called Türkiye in rebranding move

So.... if "Turkey" no longer exists, then it's not a part of NATO, and can't stand in the way of membership for Finland and Sweden.

I'll allow it.

Finland hints at buying Turkish drones in charm offensive amid NATO row​

Plz into NATO, we buy Drones...

----

Both countries won't address Turkey's concerns that a recognised -PKK- Terrorist organisation is so freely operating in their country, yet is being pulled and pushed basically being bullied into allowing both countries into a Defence pact. How does that make any sense, allowing countries into NATO that don't care about security threats to Turkiye

Last edited:
To be politically correct, do we from now on have to call a flop or a dud a türkiye as well? For example, as in "That Christmas Bullet for sure was a real türkiye!"

And no, I'm not ridiculing a country, I'm ridiculing an antidemocratic strongman with visions of grandeur who is facing somewhat dicey elections next year and trying to rile up mindless patriotic sentiment with publicity stunts instead of actually governing constructively.

Last edited:
To be politically correct, do we from now on have to call a flop or a dud a türkiye as well? For example, as in "That Christmas Bullet for sure was a real türkiye!"

The names of individuals have been turned into words describing things, often bad: Hooker, Crapper, Mudd, Quisling, McCarthy, Swalwell were all people-names that became thing-names. "Turkey" so far as I'm aware took several stages to go from a place name, through the name of a bird, to the descriptor for a failure.

But if a minor dictator wants to turn the place name "Türkiye" directly into the smear "türkiye," I can see it happen. The English language adopts foreign words *real* fast. It was not that long ago that suka blyat was heard in the US only on YouTube compilations of Russian dashcam videos. Now I'm hearing it/them out in the wild.

So.... if "Turkey" no longer exists, then it's not a part of NATO, and can't stand in the way of membership for Finland and Sweden.

I'll allow it.

Finland hints at buying Turkish drones in charm offensive amid NATO row​

Plz into NATO, we buy Drones...

----

Both countries won't address Turkey's concerns that a recognised -PKK- Terrorist organisation is so freely operating in their country, yet is being pulled and pushed basically being bullied into allowing both countries into a Defence pact. How does that make any sense, allowing countries into NATO that don't care about security threats to Turkiye
I'm adding you to the list of people who must be arrested and surrendered to Suomi authorities, for saying mean things about the country where I was born. Don't worry: Suomi has no death penalty.

How does that make any sense, allowing countries into NATO that don't care about security threats to Turkiye

Fundamentally it doesn't. But of course there are two alternative solutions. One is to refuse them, the other is to sanction Türkiye for oppressing its Kurds, declare the PKK to be freedom fighters not terrorists, and eject Türkiye from NATO. International politics is all about working up a third, unworkable compromise that will paper over the cracks for now but self-destruct following the next regime change.

For my part, if Türkiye wishes to be a thing, they have the right to self-determination and their official UN name should reflect their choice. But then, so too with the Kurds.

Last edited:

... and eject Türkiye from NATO...

For my part, if Türkiye wishes to be a thing, they have the right to self-determination and their official UN name should reflect their choice...

AFAIK, there is no mechansim within the North Atlantic Treaty to eject any member state. There probably should be ... but there isn't.

As for the name Türkiye, Ankara can call itself anything it wants in its own language. There is no obligation for anyone else to follow suit. After all, no NATO member feels compelled by Lithuanians to call their country Lietuva.

As for the name Türkiye, Ankara can call itself anything it wants in its own language. There is no obligation for anyone else to follow suit. After all, no NATO member feels compelled by Lithuanians to call their country Lietuva.

Nobody outside France calls it "Pair-ee," nobody outside Russia refers to "Mosk-va," nobody outside Michigan says "Detroit sounds like a fine place." Nobody calls Finland or Japan what they call themselves.. Which is what made the change from "Key-ev" to "Keev" a short while ago kinda odd.

... and eject Türkiye from NATO...

For my part, if Türkiye wishes to be a thing, they have the right to self-determination and their official UN name should reflect their choice...

AFAIK, there is no mechansim within the North Atlantic Treaty to eject any member state. There probably should be ... but there isn't.

The Treaty does have points about making alliances that are detrimental to the cause of the Treaty, and other such things.

<snip>Nobody outside France calls it "Pair-ee," <snip>
[pedant_mode] Nobody inside France does, either. More like pah-ree: [paʁi]
I have heard the same pronunciation of Paris in the francophone regions of Belgium and Switzerland. I haven't been in Quebec to check, or in any of the many African/Caribbean nations where French is the official language, but I suspect Paris is pronounced in much the same way there. Now, about København... [/pedant_mode]

Nobody outside France calls it "Pair-ee," nobody outside Russia refers to "Mosk-va," nobody outside Michigan says "Detroit sounds like a fine place." Nobody calls Finland or Japan what they call themselves.. Which is what made the change from "Key-ev" to "Keev" a short while ago kinda odd.

Yet Russia does require us to say "Kaliningrad" and not "Königsberg". And we are all required by the PC* police to talk of Myanmar, Sri Lanka, Zimbabwe and so forth. Burma where my uncle was wounded in the war, Ceylon after which its tea is named and Arthur C. Clarke lived, and Rhodesia as everybody called the nominally unrecognised white supremacist state, may no longer be spoken of in public.

Consistency in international relations? Whoever heard of such a thing!

There seems to be some sort of UN approved list of what-to-call-countries-in-English. Sensible enough, their printers have to be told what letters to typeset. Whine loud enough and yours gets the name you want. France, Finland and Japan just haven't done any whining lately. Russia is inconsistent, bothering to whine only when it has propaganda value.

My point was about the UN list. But outside the UN, what we call things among ourselves is our business not theirs. The PC* police have better things to patrol.

Hey, why don't I start an Albion campaign for this scepter'd isle beneath my feet? Better than "The United Kingdom of [political salad of the day]".

* Politically Correct of course, not the usual connotation of PC round here, when being polite to folks in blue uniforms.

Last edited:
Many of the countries are called things in English that aren't exactly the same as the name of the country in their national language, e.g., Spain's real name is Reino de España, while that of Germany is Bundesrepublik Deutschland, and that of Greece is Ελληνική Δημοκρατία, certainly not "Greece." Türkiye Cumhuriyeti is the official name of Turkey in Turkish.

While Ergodan is acting like a jerk, he's acting like a jerk in way that's very traditional. After all, Turkey attacked a fellow NATO member (the triggering event seems to have been a coup against the government of Cyprus sponsored by the Greek dictatorship of 1974).

seems some in Türkiye figure out, the english call them Turkey
what bring some confusion mistake, so they decided to so something:

A Turkey
240px-Male_wild_turkey_%28Meleagris_gallopavo%29_strutting.jpg

A Türkiye
180px-Recep_Tayyip_Erdoğan_2021_%28cropped%29.jpg

C'mon guys, let them be named what's their wish. If that was Barbara, let it be Barbaryie.

The funniest part however, is that in many languages, Turkey has nothing to do with the turkey. I am guessing here that some are spending way too much time on the english speaking internet...

Many of the countries are called things in English that aren't exactly the same as the name of the country in their national language, e.g., Spain's real name is Reino de España, while that of Germany is Bundesrepublik Deutschland, and that of Greece is Ελληνική Δημοκρατία, certainly not "Greece." Türkiye Cumhuriyeti is the official name of Turkey in Turkish.
Let us not forget The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. But do we go around demanding everybody write "UKGBNI"? No, we start with GB stickers on our cars and then decide to change them to UK. Acting like jerks perhaps, but we are BritishUK jerks!

Do we insisted on others using the proper names of our countries?

Who tells the French than Allemagne is Deutschland?

Or is it all one way?

Let us not forget The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. But do we go around demanding everybody write "UKGBNI"? No, we start with GB stickers on our cars and then decide to change them to UK. Acting like jerks perhaps, but we are BritishUK jerks!
But in our defence, most UK Nationals would be hard pressed to correctly identify the proper name of their country…