Tupolev Tu-4 Double (Twin-Fuselage Russian Aircraft)

Cy-27

ACCESS: Top Secret
Senior Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2008
Messages
603
Reaction score
326
I was intrigued by an item in Krilya Rodiny magazine from last year about a proposal from 1950 to mate together two Tupolev Tu-4 "Bull" aircraft.

This "Tu-4 Double" does not look too practical as the wing join point appears very flimsy and the runway width required for the landing gear(s) would limit operations.

The magazine was not an April issue so I don't believe the article to be totally fictitious (maybe a bit fanciful though).
 

Attachments

  • Tupolev_Tu-4_Double_1950_KR2013_Diagram_Artwork.jpg
    Tupolev_Tu-4_Double_1950_KR2013_Diagram_Artwork.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 566

Grey Havoc

ACCESS: USAP
Senior Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2009
Messages
17,213
Reaction score
6,858
The fact that it was a time for desperate measures probably applies.
 

Avimimus

ACCESS: Top Secret
Joined
Dec 16, 2007
Messages
2,094
Reaction score
261
A desperate attempt at sufficient range/payload for nuclear deterrence?
 

Grey Havoc

ACCESS: USAP
Senior Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2009
Messages
17,213
Reaction score
6,858
Avimimus said:
A desperate attempt at sufficient range/payload for nuclear deterrence?

Exactly. Stalin was not exactly known for his forbearing manner.
 

Silencer1

That now I am the Ruler of the Queen's Navee!
Joined
Aug 3, 2009
Messages
689
Reaction score
236
Hi!


The inscriptions below the drawing has say: "This is an articles' author impression on possible layout of "Twin Tu-4", as it has been proposed by Martynenko and Rooter. This drawing hasn't demonstrate the potential decreasing of firing stations".


Perhaps, inside the article, there were more information on this "double"?
 

Jemiba

Moderator
Staff member
Top Contributor
Senior Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Messages
8,376
Reaction score
1,653
Cy-27 said:
This "Tu-4 Double" does not look too practical as the wing join point appears very flimsy ...

The outer wings may have been replaced by a more squared central part, as in the He 111Z.
But as mentioned, track width could be a problem around 50 meters !
 

Attachments

  • Twin-Bull.gif
    Twin-Bull.gif
    31.8 KB · Views: 471

Tuizentfloot

ACCESS: Secret
Joined
May 9, 2010
Messages
258
Reaction score
95
See article by S.D. Komissarov Tu-4 predlagali "sdvoit'"… in Kryl'ja Rodiny 9-10.2013, 82-85.
Was an idea of L.I. Martynenko and D.M. Ruter from NII VVS.
Hoped to reach 11000 km with a bomb load of 3000 kg at 3000 m.
Idea was submitted to Aviaprom and VVS.
Tupolev himself was negative about the idea.
 

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Senior Member
Joined
May 26, 2006
Messages
28,635
Reaction score
6,483
Tuizentfloot said:
See article by S.D. Komissarov Tu-4 predlagali "sdvoit'"… in Kryl'ja Rodiny 9-10.2013, 82-85.
Was an idea of L.I. Martynenko and D.M. Ruter from NII VVS.
Hoped to reach 11000 km with a bomb load of 3000 kg at 3000 m.
Idea was submitted to Aviaprom and VVS.
Tupolev himself was negative about the idea.




Just seen,good info,thanks.
 

Similar threads

Top