Trying to locate a desk ornament - Wasserkuppe

hagaricus

ACCESS: Barclaycard
Reaction score
One of the most valued keepsakes I had after my grandfather was a desk ornament/trophy consisting of a wooden glider model, similar to a grunau baby, on a single steel pin stuck into a black wooden base bearing the word "Wasserkuppe" and a year, I forget which.. The hole for the pin was drilled at such an angle as to make the glider appear to be in a banking dive.

Unfortunately it got broken and lost in a recent move, and I've been unable to find any trace of such a thing online.

Any ideas how to get hold of one, and what it actually was?

Here is an article explaining what the "Wasserkuppe" gliding competition was.
Your momento connects with this.

One of the most valued keepsakes I had after my grandfather was a desk ornament/trophy consisting of a wooden glider model, similar to a grunau baby, on a single steel pin stuck into a black wooden base bearing the word "Wasserkuppe" and a year, I forget which.. The hole for the pin was drilled at such an angle as to make the glider appear to be in a banking dive.

Unfortunately it got broken and lost in a recent move, and I've been unable to find any trace of such a thing online.

Any ideas how to get hold of one, and what it actually was?
I have a couple of carved light colored wood (beech?) sailplanes that I bought at the Wasserkuppe Museum when I visited in '86. Have you checked with the Museum?

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Last edited: