Trying to find vstol three seater diagram

nova10

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Greetings and salutations my friends,

I'm trying to find a schematic of an aircraft on this site. I'm not entirely sure it is even part of the US Navy "Type A" competition though it certainly fits the specification. It is a three seat (I think) asw/aew(aew?) v/stol aircraft powered by a single Rolls-Royce Pegasus engine. I've been tearing my hair out trying to find it on this site with no joy. Can anybody help?

I don't know if it is discussed here, but the Hawker P.1099 would come close to fitting that description.

On a strictly conceptual level, the potential design configurations that come to mind are Harrier derivatives with a third (or even fourth or fifth) crew member/passenger in the rear behind the engine, either like a (largely) regular Harrier trainer front section combined with the rearwards facing occupant tail shown in https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/hawker-hs-1205-11-and-p-1216.9360/#post-101807, or a (once more mostly) regular single seat Harrier front section combined with a forward facing rear two seat passenger section as shown in https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/civil-harrier-versions.6369/#post-52905 or, if mass balancing is an issue (as it very likely would be for a three seater instead of a five seater), again a (mostly) regular Harrier trainer front section with a forward facing single seat passenger section in the rear, since having three crew up in front without any balance in the rear would most likely not feasible.

Hope this helps,

Martin

Last edited:
Are you thinking of the Hawker 'High Speed Helicopter', which was the original concept for what became the Harrier ?

I'm sure it's somewhere on this site, but I can't find it . . . :mad: :oops:

cheers,
Robin.

hp1127-dr (1).jpg

Thanks for the input. Sadly none of these suggestions fit the bill. It was a aew/asw vtol aircraft that happened to have a pegasus engine. It wasn't a harrier variant. Two seat upfront with a third seat behind the front cockpit right in front of the intake

It looked more like a US Navy "Type A" proposal or a S-3 Viking than a harrier

Hi Nova,

if you can make a sketch for the cockpit or a part of its fuselage,then we can help more.