Trieste LHD started sea trials

archipeppe

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
The Italian Trieste LHD has finally started its sea trials during last week, in the Gulf of La Spezia, here there are some nice photos by Italian Ares Difesa website:

1628871823848.png

1628871878583.png

1628871967540.png

Last edited:
Italian Navy has revealed the Trieste's motto: "Fulgere super mare" ("Shining over the sea").

Last edited:
So Garibaldi's days are counted from now ?
In a certain sense yes.
But Garibaldi will no decomissioned and not scrapped, after its retreat it will turned into an offshore satellite launcher, since an agreement between Italian Space Agency and Italian Navy signed last year.

Nice to see a Trieste at sea. I remember the notes in "Janes Fighting Ships" about the proposed sister ship to Vittorio Veneto in the 1960s.

Think its a great ship. In an ideal world it would be the model for the eventual replacement of Albion and Bulwark. But does the aft islands flight control area look a little less 'pronounced' than it was originally speculated to be. Doesn't appear to have the vast fields of view of the entire flight deck that the QE's arrangement does, which seems genuinely useful.

But does the aft islands flight control area look a little less 'pronounced' than it was originally speculated to be.
Honestly I don't understand, both islands sorted out bigger than originally planned. You can compare the original Trieste design (smaller islands and no ski-jump) with the actual one (bigger islands and the ski-jump):

1632827482543.png

1632827495992.png

But does the aft islands flight control area look a little less 'pronounced' than it was originally speculated to be.
Honestly I don't understand, both islands sorted out bigger than originally planned. You can compare the original Trieste design (smaller islands and no ski-jump) with the actual one (bigger islands and the ski-jump):

View attachment 665274

View attachment 665275
I'll be honest..
the current twin islands look a bit disproportionate? being very tall relative to the length of the ship.
the older design looked a lot sleeker

i guess from a purely aesthetic point of view, Cavour is still my favorite "harrier" carrier.
but I hope trieste the best success in actual operations

It's the size of the FLYCO that was talking about. Some of the original designs (like the Shipbucket drawings posted) had a FLYCO position that jutted out from the aft island and provided a view along the whole length of the flight deck.

It's the size of the FLYCO that was talking about. Some of the original designs (like the Shipbucket drawings posted) had a FLYCO position that jutted out from the aft island and provided a view along the whole length of the flight deck.
I think part of the problem is that that section of the island was still incomplete during the August trials. FLYCO was AIUI to be a two level structure. The upper level wraps around the aft end of the island but the lower level has windows on the port side of the island only.The windows in the upper level FLYCO still seem to be covered over, leaving only those in the lower level appearing in some photos. The upper level, with its surrounding catwalk seems to me to protrude further over the flight deck than the lower level. The other problem is the amount of shaping of the island under the catwalk, and above the FLYCO position seems to disguise just how far it does protrude.

Take a look at the shadow generated ahead of the position in this photo.

That makes sense, looking at it from that angle the windows being covered still shows up really well.

Next question....do we know if the elevators fold up to close up the hangar bay openings or are there roller shutters in place?

Next question....do we know if the elevators fold up to close up the hangar bay openings or are there roller shutters in place?
Yes the both elevators can fold up. As you may see in the following picture taken just after its launch.

L-9890-ITS-Trieste-011.jpg

The Postwar Italian Navy has built a succession of fine looking ships which no other European Navy has matched for variety and creativity

I'm not seeing beauty in Trieste's lines, but effective design doesn't have to be beautiful.