TR-3 "Black Manta"

I believe that is an artist's impression based on an aircraft that Steve Douglass saw and videotaped at Roving Sands in 1993. Steve thought it may be the TR-3 at the time. IIRC, Steve's description of the shape was similar to the Northrop ATA.

Wired did an article that covered it a little in 1994:
Let's say there was no such thing as the TR-3, then what the heck did Steve Douglass record then? Also, is there other threads dedicated to unknown aircraft caught on camera? The threads im aware of are the 2013 Texas Triangular aircraft trio, and the Mackbolin aircraft.

Photo below is an enhanced image of what Steven Douglass saw.

Attachments

• images.jpeg.jpg
    images.jpeg.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 50
Let's say there was no such thing as the TR-3, then what the heck did Steve Douglass record then? Also, is there other threads dedicated to unknown aircraft caught on camera? The threads im aware of are the 2013 Texas Triangular aircraft trio, and the Mackbolin aircraft.

Photo below is an enhanced image of what Steven Douglass saw.
Not convinced that is a geniune non-altered photo, however I always found this story interesting.. particularly the picture in the article from Holloman AFB:

Attachments

• SteveDouglasSighting.jpg
    SteveDouglasSighting.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 44
Last edited by a moderator:
The designation TR-3 as pointed out many times, doesnt fit and was a mishearing. If the Black Manta was real, what would be its designation? UR-3? The U letter being to hide the aircraft I'm guessing, just like the U-2.

The designation TR-3 as pointed out many times, doesnt fit and was a mishearing. If the Black Manta was real, what would be its designation? UR-3? The U letter being to hide the aircraft I'm guessing, just like the U-2.
Remember that for a while the U-2 was designated TR-1, when the plane was fitted out for tactical recon. So TR-3 does kinda make sense.

For the "Black Manta as buddy-laser for F-117s" concept, the likely designation is something like OA-11, or maybe something out of the STOL series, OV-11.