Topping Blue Angels GrummanF9 Cougar Jetfighter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triton

Donald McKelvy
Reaction score
Website
deeptowild.blogspot.com
Grumman F9 Cougar in Blue Angels markings model manufactured by Topping.

URL: http://cgi.ebay.com/1950s-Topping-Blue-Angles-GrummanF9-Cougar-Jetfighter-/330586245334?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf879c8d6

Seller's description:
Up for auction is a very rare 1950's Topping Models Blue Angels No. 2 marked jetfighter aircraft. This may be the only one you will ever see with this serial number of 131208. If any others are in collections with this same number I do not think they will want to sell or auction off to you. On the rear bottom right side tail wing is stamped, "TOPPER MODELS / 106 NO. MAIN ST. / AKRON 8, OHIO"[sic]. The Grumman F9F/F-8 Cougar jetfighter aircraft was acquired by the Blue Angels in 1954 when they moved to NAS Pensacola, Florida from NAS Corpus Christi, Texas. The No. 2 jetfighter serial number 131208 crashed on October 18, 1956 at Pensacola, Florida and sadly the pilot was killed along with the jetfighter being destroyed. So this model was the official Blue Angels jetfighter for only 2 years. In January 1957 the Blue Angels moved to NAS Key West, Florida. For their 1957 show season the Blue Angels transitioned to the supersonic Grumman F11F-1 Tiger. The Cougar jetfighter's crash may have been a major decision factor since this type was only used for 3 years. I am just guessing but sounds logical. The dimensions are 12 3/4" long, 10" wide and 3 1/2" tall at the tail end. This model was custom painted and decals added in the 1950's by a person associated with the Blue Angels and not by the Topper Models Co [sic]. It could have been a gift to the family of the pilot but I am just guessing. The hole on the bottom used for the pin on the stand had widen with time. So the owner made another hole and a brass bushing was installed to make sure this problem would not happen again. I think there are no other repairs or problems or if any parts are missing. The decals on the jetfighter are in excellent shape with no cracks, chips, or major scratches. The condition of the jetfighter is excellent with no cracks, stains, paint lose, major scratches or wear.

I thought that this model was unusual and interesting, so I decided to post it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.