Blue Angels Aircraft Proposals

northerndancer2000

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Recently I saw a Topping factory model that claimed to be part of a proposal from Northrop to supply F-5s to the Blue Angels. You can see pictures of the model at [/size]http://www.ebay.com/itm/400665758292?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649[/size] . The colors in the photos are much lighter than on the actual model (at least on my screen).
[/size]
[/size]If this is real, it was probably done around 1973 when the Blue Angels were looking at less expensive aircraft to replace their F-4s. [/size]
[/size]
[/size]The US Navy also took up a couple of F-5s for air combat training in 1974 so the Navy could have made the argument that the F-5 was in use by the Navy. (Yes, it would be a looong stretch!) The style of the model and the markings look consistent with this time period. Or it could have been done around 1985 when the Blue Angels were transferring from the A-4 to the F/A-18.

The F-5 was never a primary aircraft for the US Navy. This proposal must have been a very long shot for Northrop so it would not have made much sense for them to put a lot of money into the proposal. The Thunderbirds transitioned from the F-4 to the T-38 at the same time. Maybe Northrop wanted to have matching aircraft for the USAF and USN teams again.

Does anyone know anything about the possibility of the Navy using the F-5 for the Blue Angels? I had never heard of it being considered. The ones I've heard about were the F-14, A-4, and A-7 in the early 1970s and a SLEP A-4, T-45 (Hawk), and F/A-18 in the mid-1980s. (The initial F/A-18s were Lot IV without certain modifications necessary for safe carrier landings.) Are there others that I've missed?
[/size]Does anyone have copies of any of the proposals and/or photos of the proposed aircraft in Blue Angels livery that were never adopted?

The Blue Angels PAO politely directed me to the Naval Aviation Museum but neither they nor Northrop Grumman have reverted to me. If they do I'll let people know.

Thank you!

Here's the photo of the mentioned model, only the small version, as the item is already sold.
Please attach such photos, as they usually vanish after the auction has ended.

Attachments

• F-5_Blue-Angels.jpg
    F-5_Blue-Angels.jpg
    297 KB · Views: 590
Many years ago, probably close to 20 I guess, I saw a toy, (not a model, but a toy) F-14 at my local Walmart in BA markings. I started to get it but it was well before I had read of the F-14 being a BA proposal and never did. How accurate it was since it was a toy is anyone's guess, but it looked like an accurate F-14 for a toy and the markings were certainly BA. Laughable at the time anyway.... :( I went to good ol' eBay and in the completed auctions I found:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/24X36-BLUE-ANGELS-F-14A-DIAMOND-GICLEE-ON-CANVAS-WHAT-IF-BABY-/310876784875?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4861b348eb&nma=true&si=6nR%252BeiLyd0xupn4OYGJCZV0XQDg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/16X24-BLUE-ANGELS-F-14A-TOMCAT-REFUEL-What-If-Baby-GICLEE-ON-CANVAS-/310876782177?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4861b33e61&nma=true&si=6nR%252BeiLyd0xupn4OYGJCZV0XQDg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

And lastly, this BA F-14 seems bigger than what I recall but maybe the mfr. of this one offered smaller non-remote versions, but it sure is familiar:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Bright-F-14-Tomcat-Blue-Angels-US-Navy-RC-Airplane-/360829470154?pt=Radio_Control_Vehicles&hash=item54031cc5ca&nma=true&si=6nR%252BeiLyd0xupn4OYGJCZV0XQDg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Interesting - perhaps this served in some way as an inspiration for the paint job on the Iranian Saegheh F-5 knockoff?

Martin

Back when I first hired in at Northrop Hawthorne ( 1979) in the model shop I was tasked with painting up 15 or 20 1/40 scale F-18 models in Canadian Snowbirds livery, and half a dozen BA painted F-18's. Can't recall doing any F-5 modes in BA livery, but there was a lot going on and my bench was out in the back.

Doing the Snowbirds models was quite challenging as all were masked by hand, still have some of the logo decals that were printed for them .We did all sots of crazy paint jobs on the smaller display models.

Mad Gepetto