Too late for WW-II

carmelo

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Hello,i have a question:
which were the last piston engined fighter designed in United States,too late for WW-II ?
(For exemple,i have read about a boeing huge fighter for the Pacific).
Thanks.

The Grumman F8F Bearcat for one. One bad ass carrier-based fighter that would have obliterated Japanese fighters.

That Boeing fighter would be the XF8B-1. Other built types were the Goodyear F2G and NA P-82 Twin Mustang. If you stretch a point to include mixed-power, there's also the Ryan FR-1 Fireball, Curtiss XF15C, and unbuilt, swept-wing Mustang studies.

Anybody have any unbuilt pure-piston US fighter designs still around in mid-1945?

XB-70 Guy said:
The Grumman F8F Bearcat for one. One bad ass carrier-based fighter that would have decimated Japanese fighters.
Wow, the first squadron was operational by 21 May 1945!

Attachments

• BearcatAndZero.jpg
    BearcatAndZero.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 327
T-50 said:
and I want too see some Japanese types
Perhaps F8B-1s and P-72s intercepting G10N1s (or the JA equivalent) on the approach to San Francisco? This would get more interesting if each G10N1 was carrying a Japanese-developed A-bomb.

The latest FLIGHT JOURNAL (Feb 2010) has an article precisely on this topic. Planes mentioned:

- F8F Bearcat
- P-51H Mustang
- Ryan FR-1 Fireball
- C-82 Packet
- F7F Bearcat
- Hawker Sea Fury
- de Havailland Sea Hornet
- Martin Baker MB 5
- Avro Lincoln
- Lockheed P2V
- P-82 Twin Mustang
- Sikorsky HO2S helo
- F2G "Super Corsair"
- Me 264
- Ju 290
- Mitsubishi A7M Reppu
- Kyushu J7W Shinden
- P-80 Shooting Star
- Gloster Meteor
- Nakajima J9Y Kikka

The article mentions that a further article covering the jets will come out later

carmelo said:
Hello,i have a question:
which were the last piston engined fighter designed in United States,too late for WW-II ?
(For example,i have read about a Boeing huge fighter for the Pacific).
Thanks.

Carmelo I know your question was regarding U.S fighter aircraft!!
I think Beech had a design submitted - it had a 75mm cannon (but come to think of it, it may have been classed as a 'Destroyer').
I will try and remember its title!!
Grumman two-engine F7F Tigercat?

P.S. I think the F8B-1 was a lost opportunity - which would have been a great contribution during the Korean War!

P.P.S. Whilst everyone is putting down other nationality aircraft - I will add the Australian CAC CA-15 and British Martin-Baker MB-5(?)

Regards
Pioneer

Pioneer said:
I think Beech had a design submitted - it had a 75mm cannon (but come to think of it, it may have been classed as a 'Destroyer'). I will try and remember its title!!
Grumman two-engine F7F Tigercat?

That'd be the Beech Model 28/XA-38 'Grizzly' but, as the designation shows, it was to be an attack aircraft not a fighter.

Good catch on the Tigercat. I wonder, since 34 F7F-1s were complete by March 1945, why didn't the Marines deploy them to the Pacific?

Last piston engined fighter designed in United States ?
Many of them has been noticed above ; many of the aircraft weren't fighters
like the Fairchild C-82 Packet, British Avro type 694 Lincoln and some others from XP67_Moonbat's post ( Nakajima J9Y Kikka ??? I uncorrectly describe it J8 but always with N, not Y ).
And Grizzly wasn't fighter for sure.
Fisher ( GM ) built a fighter which hasn't seen the war : the Fisher XP-75 Eagle, right ?
There's also been built the Hughes XP-73 ...
@ carmelo I understand You mean such types of aicraft built in the wartime which didn't take part in action.
If so I attach my list of U. S. Army Aviation ( Cezura 1910 - 1950 ) where You can find fighers
and self research which of their You ask for ...
And sorry for my English, hope You'll understand.

Attachments

• Amerykańskie Samoloty Lotnictwa Armii.doc
    376 KB · Views: 56
"And Grizzly wasn't fighter for sure."

Not in the shape, it eventually had, but AFAIK it was originally proposed as
a heavy "bomber destroyer", before it was changed into a ground attacker.

I get this interesting info from the Global Moderator Jemiba with a proper * respect ::)
Really thanx, I didn't know about it. I always treated the A-38 as a well known attacker,
which doesn't deserve more deep attention.
If You or anybody else percived some mistakes or lacks in my list of U. S. Aircraft attached,
I'd appreciate all comments and angry :D reprimands ; there are plenty of airplanes
which I only heard about, having no idea how they look like ( greenlighted ).

* On this forum I shoud write " propeller respect ".

Boogey,I hope you didn't see my answer as an "angry reprimand" !
Honestly, it's rather me, who deserves a reprimand, as I didn't mention
a source. Now, with the last christmas guests gone, I looked after
the source: It was a FlugRevue issue from 1979, I think (sorry, the last line
is hardly readable anymore). In 1942 Beech proposed the model 28 to the
USAAF (similar to the Curtiss XP-71), still as a heavy fighter, armed with a
75mm gun. During the following times, the role was changed to a low level
attack aircraft, which led to a change of the designation to model 38.

XP67_Moonbat said:
The latest FLIGHT JOURNAL (Feb 2010) has an article precisely on this topic. Planes mentioned:

- F8F Bearcat
- P-51H Mustang
- Ryan FR-1 Fireball
- C-82 Packet
- F7F Bearcat
- Hawker Sea Fury
- de Havailland Sea Hornet
- Martin Baker MB 5
- Avro Lincoln
- Lockheed P2V
- P-82 Twin Mustang
- Sikorsky HO2S helo
- F2G "Super Corsair"
- Me 264
- Ju 290
- Mitsubishi A7M Reppu
- Kyushu J7W Shinden
- P-80 Shooting Star
- Gloster Meteor
- Nakajima J9Y Kikka

The article mentions that a further article covering the jets will come out later

What? No CA 15? ::) ::)

saturncanuck said:
XB-70 Guy said:
The Grumman F8F Bearcat for one. One bad ass carrier-based fighter that would have decimated Japanese fighters.

Decimated?

You mean it would only have shot down 1 out of ten aircraft?

All in its path.

Mitsubishi Ki-83
Nakajima Ki-87
Nakajima G8N Renzan
Kawasaki Ki-100 kai

XB-70 Guy said:
saturncanuck said:
XB-70 Guy said:

Decimated?

All in its path.

Sorry, my friend, but "decimated" means to destroy one out of ten. This comes from the Roman Legion where, as a punishment, one out of every ten soldiers would be killed if they failed in their duty. "Deci" meaning ten, so to Decimate means to kill 10%, or one out of every ten.

I think that's just one of its definitions:
decimate - eliminate: kill in large numbers; "the plague wiped out an entire population"

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&defl=en&q=define:decimate&ei=Wlk5S_T-MpOYtge59737CA&sa=X&oi=glossary_definition&ct=title&ved=0CAcQkAE

saturncanuck said:
XB-70 Guy said:
saturncanuck said:
XB-70 Guy said:

Decimated?

All in its path.

Sorry, my friend, but "decimated" means to destroy one out of ten. This comes from the Roman Legion where, as a punishment, one out of every ten soldiers would be killed if they failed in their duty. "Deci" meaning ten, so to Decimate means to kill 10%, or one out of every ten.

frank said:
decimate - eliminate: kill in large numbers; "the plague wiped out an entire population"

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&defl=en&q=define:decimate&ei=Wlk5S_T-MpOYtge59737CA&sa=X&oi=glossary_definition&ct=title&ved=0CAcQkAE

saturncanuck said:
XB-70 Guy said:
saturncanuck said:
XB-70 Guy said:

Decimated?

All in its path.

Sadly, through improper use of the word, it has now come to mean that. So, I will accept this as a colloqualism.

It is like the word "presently". This actually means "soon" but has been used so often incorrectly to mean "now" that the meaning has changed.

Sorry to harp on you Steve.

Hope you all had a great Christmas.

saturncanuck said:
frank said:

saturncanuck said:
XB-70 Guy said:
saturncanuck said:
XB-70 Guy said:

Decimated?

All in its path.

Sadly, through improper use of the word, it has now come to mean that. So, I will accept this as a colloqualism.

It is like the word "presently". This actually means "soon" but has been used so often incorrectly to mean "now" that the meaning has changed.

Maybe obliterate would be a better word.

XB-70 Guy said:
saturncanuck said:
frank said:

saturncanuck said:
XB-70 Guy said:
saturncanuck said:
XB-70 Guy said:

Decimated?

All in its path.

Maybe obliterate would be a better word.

OK.

:)

Jemiba said:
... it's rather me, who deserves a reprimand ...
You know good Yourself that there's no need to any apologies,
and thanks for indicating a 1979 Flug Revue issues ;
I'll try to find the fascile of with the Beech A-38 description ...
I love forums offtops
23.gif
, myself often write out of tune,
but then I treat it as a joke, not seriously meander out of theme ;

carmelo asked of AMERICAN FIGHTER ( or fighters ) though ... too late to action in the wartime,
then the company of forum bogeys invadad with their mighty planes, being not American fighters
but English, German, even Australian ;D machines of different types ...
If so, I introduce to You an airplane, younger brother of the Lavochkin La-5 FN > the Lavochkin La-7
which took part in action, but appeared too late to get successes and glory on battlefield.
Some of You dream of possessing an Air Force Number One,
... some others dream of possessing a Grumman's business class long range jet with a submissive stewardess
on board,
plenty of You guys dream of having real flying Spitfire, P-51 D or A6M5, or others.
If I had the money, I'd fly Lavochkin La-7 ;D It moves my Slovian soul's sense of estethic ;D

If I had the money, I'd fly Lavochkin La-7 Grin It moves my Slavian soul's sense of estethic Grin

If you want the best Lavochkin, go with the La-9 which was just too late for the war...ultimate soviet piston fighter :D

Cheers Bailey.

@ Bailey History of the 9 begun in 1946 so out of threat ; really my first thought of Russian fighter was 9.
Seven is so beautiful wooden wonder, that one desires to have it in bed ;D

saturncanuck said:

Interesting! I didn't know the origin of the word, but it's perfectly logical. Yes, "decimate" to me has always signified "exterminate, eradicate".

As to the subject of this topic, I would say XP-75 Eagle, Bearcat, of course, and perhaps XF8B-1 and FR-1 Fireball, though the operational capability of these is purely theoretical as the former remained a prototype and the latter's hybrid propulsion might have proved complicated to maintain in operation. For foreign Ally aircraft I would say that the De Havilland Sea Fury, Martin-Baker MB-5 and Commonwealth CA-15 are obvious ones.

Stargazer2006 said:
saturncanuck said:

Interesting! I didn't know the origin of the word, but it's perfectly logical. Yes, "decimate" to me has always signified "exterminate, eradicate".

As to the subject of this topic, I would say XP-75 Eagle, Bearcat, of course, and perhaps XF8B-1 and FR-1 Fireball, though the operational capability of these is purely theoretical as the former remained a prototype and the latter's hybrid propulsion might have proved complicated to maintain in operation. For foreign Ally aircraft I would say that the De Havilland Sea Fury, Martin-Baker MB-5 and Commonwealth CA-15 are obvious ones.

My Dad always talked about the MB5 when I was a kid just getting into aviation and after researching it properly (for my next book) I agree -- It should have been built.

Mind you, would the company then have gone on to make excellent ejection seats?

On a slightly related topic, we should discuss the uses of the word "turret".