Tomcat with TF-41 ?

Archibald

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Well, as the title say.

some facts

The A-7 was born as a Navy aircraft with the TF-30. Until the Air Force variant, that is. The Air Force told the Navy they really liked the A-7, but the TF-30 sucked.
Hence the Air Force went to Allison, and Allison took a Spey licence from Rolls Royce.

I wonder how GE and Pratt reacted to that. They had steamrolled Allison to the point that, after the J-71, Allison had specialized in turbines for helicopters and C-130s (among others).

The TF-41 powered A-7 was so good, the Navy said "screw the TF-30" and happily bought TF-41 -powered A-7Es that served until 1993 and even bet the pants of Hornets as far as range was concerned. :)

Of course the A-7, being subsonic, had no reheat. But RR certainly got a reheated Spey for the British Phantoms ! And Allison could certainly had a reheated TF-41.

Hence it is beyond me that , when the F-111B was scrapped, the bloody TF-30 was salvaged and went to the Tomcat, with all the trouble, the irony being the unfortunate Tomcat pilots had to deal with the TF-30 until 2006 (yes, I know about the superlative F-14D ! But it was only a tiny minority of the tomcat fleet, because SecDef Cheney 1991. I also know about the F-401 story).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LTV_A-7_Corsair_II#United_States_Air_Force_A-7D
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allison_TF41
The first Spey-powered A-7D (67-14854) flew for the first time on 26 September 1968

The first Spey-powered A-7E flew for the first time on 9 March 1969.

in July 1968 the DoD ordered work stopped on F-111B

And the Tomcat flew in December 1970.

How good would have been a TF-41 powered Tomcat ?

Not at the beginning. It was one hell of a disaster, and it took a boatload of time, money, and redesigns, to make it work correctly. On the Tomcat it never worked correctly.

somewhat ironically SNECMA is France took a TF-30 licence and after many difficulties (Mirage III-T) managed to get it to work (TF-306), only for De Gaulle to cancel it for the M53. ::)

Back
Top Bottom