To the Moon by Gemini?

Michel Van said:
Bill Walker said:
Maybe I'm missing something here, but why would you launch wings to the moon, and then leave them there? Was the basic vehicle configuration originally based on another mission?

oh, that here about to use of Gemini for Mars mission.
the wing are used for entering in mars atmosphere.

And bearing in mind that it's from 1963. They didn't know how thin Mars' atmosphere was yet -- Mariner 4 only gave us our first good measurement in July 1965. Wings like this would be near-useless with the pressures we know about now.

Quindar Beep said:
And bearing in mind that it's from 1963. They didn't know how thin Mars' atmosphere was yet -- Mariner 4 only gave us our first good measurement in July 1965. Wings like this would be near-useless with the pressures we know about now.

yes, before mariner 4, they speculate the Mars atmosphere had pressure of 8.6 kilo pascal (actual 0.6 kilo pascal).
after mariner 4, allot of Mars lander study went to the archive...

I'm too lazy to look this up at the moment, but I remember reading that Mariner 4 only confirmed the atmosphere reading, but that ground-based astronomers had come to that conclusion based upon their data before Mariner 4 got there.

tangent time..

Was climbing 100+ feet down the side of the lander (on pegs!) ever truly considered as a viable method of egress? Even at moon g's, you'd be moving almost 22mph after a 100 foot fall.

EDIT: Bah! I didn't see The Artist's previous comment on this very thing. Sorry to restate the obvious. I'll go back to lurking now...

Michel Van said:
after mariner 4, allot of Mars lander study went to the archive...

...And that's putting it mildly. IIRC, Mariner 4's flight path was reportedly calculated so that it would pass over where Lowell, Burton and Schiaparelli's observations had agreed with one another on where at least one major Martian "canal" should have been. But, as we know, what Mariner 4 found was closer to the Moon than it was Barsoom. Which is a shame not just because if the guys at JPL had actually *found* both running water and an atmosphere to support it, there was already a great list of canal names assigned:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Martian_canals

Not that the IAU would have accepted them, mind you... :mad:

I bumped into this somewhere...and after a thorough sweep of the site concluded it was the only pic worth downloading.
EASILY the best contemporary image of the Lunar Gemini ummm "RIG"
Tineye yielded a number of matches: https://tineye.com/search/7148727cd3ce0e0472472b1e8c63e843f7830ec3?sort=score&order=desc&page=1