Thousands of unedited government JFK assassination files released

Its mostly because declassifying documents takes a lot of time, time that the people who have to review the documents do not have, and these reviews usually are at the bottom of the priority list.

There are documents that will never see the light of day, some will still have parts redacted, and I'm not confident that this new document release will reveal anything of historical value as far as the actual assassination is concerned. The American people have pushed for this. The U.S. government knows this. About 70% of the public does not believe the government's published version of the events.

1963 and there's still material deemed sensitive ???
Two things that the government *hates* to declassify:
1) Nuclear weapon technology
2) Human intelligence assets/techniques/operations.

I doubt there's much in #1, but probably a lot of #2, even if it's just informants in the mob or details about efforts to infiltrate the commies/details about commie infiltration. Even if there is absolutely nothing really new or "explosive" here, Oswald *was* a commie who palled around with commies and went to the USSR; undoubtedly there was a lot of research on him and his dumbassery. And even if *that* research turned up nothing of any real interest, *how* they went about it and *who* they might have used would be classified and not somethign the CIA or FBI would like to give up. Because they might need to do it again. And maybe they *are* still doing it to this day. The methods used to investigate Oswald might be at use this very moment, for example.

In the UK some documents relating to WW2 intelligence operations are still classified even now. Apparently MI6 has never declassified any of its documents.

In an ideal country/world, the process would be reversed, and any government document would be automatically released at the latest after say three years of its creation unless it was actively decided by a competent authority that it still needed to be kept from the global public for another three years. Taxpayers have an innate right to see how their money is spent, and as the saying goes, sunlight is the best disinfectant.

Last edited:
In the U.S., methods and procedures used by the various parts of what is referred to as 'the intelligence community' cannot be disclosed since our enemies would use this knowledge. Also, individuals who cooperated with such agencies, especially if foreign, would have their identities protected by nondisclosure, since our enemies might target them. During the Second World War, the British T-Force did a lot of work that remains secret. Avoiding "embarrassing" disclosures takes precedence.

I note that your argument is not in contradiction with the approach I outlined above, since the three year period would not be subject to only a limited number of reviews/renewals, but various and sundry reasons for secrecy become obsolete over time. For example, once people die, enemies can no longer target them.

Last edited:
In the book T-Force by Sean Longden, the author promises a "now it can be told" narrative. That does not happen. For example, the reader is told of the discovery of an important new explosive in formerly German occupied territory. It is rushed to England. What this explosive was called and who made it is not revealed. The author instead takes the "tell all, reveal nothing" approach. If anyone is interested, get the first printing, first state with the V-2 rocket on the dust jacket.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the warning. Also, as someone who only learned English as a third language, it never fails to amuse me that the UK has an Official Secrets Act, which I first became aware of with respect to the HOTOL engine concept - makes you wonder about all the unofficial secrets the Brits might have...

Last edited:
The background of the Official Secrets Act is pretty ludicrous though, passed in 1911 after a wave of spy mania cooked up by William Le Queux and Erskine Childers fiction novels.

Until it was revised in 1989 the Act made it a criminal offence to disclose any official information without lawful authority.

Reminds me of Oliver Stone's JFK, where Costner's character Jim Garrison mentioned that he asked his son to wait for the documents to be de-classified after he is long gone from this world .....

The movie JFK provided the evidence required to dismiss the U.S. government's version of the assassination. It reminded the American people of the omissions of The Warren Commission Report.

Yeeeeah... as if Oliver Stoned (the aptly named) knew better in fiction and 30 years after the facts, than the Warren Commission itself...

Why on earth is it so hard to admit that Oswald was a loner and a loony yet a loony that had USMC training and thus knew how to use a sniper riffle ?
That JFK security at Dealey Plaza that day was a sick joke ?
That over the next twenty years half a dozen high profile murders (or atempts) happened, same loony loners profiles, and yet no such conspiracy B.S ? RFK, MLK, Wallace, Jerry Ford twice in two weeks, and Reagan ? and all the Sirhan, Earl Rey, Bremer, Fromme, Hinckley were all similar to Oswald - lost souls, loony loners ?
Disgruntled men and women with almost free access to lethal weaponry - that was not going to end well...

Yeeeeah... as if Oliver Stoned (the aptly named) knew better in fiction and 30 years after the facts, than the Warren Commission itself...

Why on earth is it so hard to admit that Oswald was a loner and a loony yet a loony that had USMC training and thus knew how to use a sniper riffle ?
That JFK security at Dealey Plaza that day was a sick joke ?
That over the next twenty years half a dozen high profile murders (or atempts) happened, same loony loners profiles, and yet no such conspiracy B.S ? RFK, MLK, Wallace, Jerry Ford twice in two weeks, and Reagan ? and all the Sirhan, Earl Rey, Bremer, Fromme, Hinckley were all similar to Oswald - lost souls, loony loners ?
Disgruntled men and women with almost free access to lethal weaponry - that was not going to end well...

Did you actually see JFK? All of your questions are answered in the movie. Before Oliver Stone, an attorney named Mark Lane raised many questions in his book, Rush to Judgment - published in 1966.

I read Jim Garrisons's book "On the trial of the assassins" right after I saw JFK. I would say the movie pretty much covered all the main points from the book given the limited duration of the movie ....

My presumption would be these are docs referencing human intelligence sources who are still alive (or who we don't know for sure are dead).