The Wright Brothers were not the first to fly! (April Fools 2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

steelpillow

Not coming back. Send me a PM.
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Staggering discovery! The Wright Brothers were not the first to fly! Hungarian Gniko Jebtsumuoy beat them to it in 1885, by almost twenty years.
Unpublished documents in the British Library collections include a copy of a letter sent to the FAI (Federation Aeronautique Internationale) in 1907, describing Jebtsumoy's achievements. One can only assume that the FAI suppressed it in order to claim European primacy for Santos-Dumont's flight in France.
Gniko Jebtsumuoy was a coachbuilder who tinkered with steam-powered carriages alongside his main trade in the horse-drawn variety. When he came across Henson's idea for an aerial carriage, he was entranced and determined to build one.
A competent engineer, he recognised the need for a light but powerful aero engine and spent the next ten years developing one. The description is vague - the letter-writer was clearly not an engineer himself - but seems to have been a kind of hybrid boiler system with flash steam augmentation.
Next came the aircraft itself. Over the next fifteen years he developed a bat-like design with wings which curved curiously down at the tips. This, he declared, made the machine stable so that the task of the helmsman would be no more arduous than for a steam ship, a task discharged through the insertion of hinges a short disatnce behind the leading edge of the wings, with wires attached to the hinged front sections in such a manner that turning the tiller would tilt them up or down or in opposite directions as required.
His first and only successful flight came on 1 April 1885 when, in front of Count Yammonei Anddron, the Countess and several guests and members of their household, he lifted into the air and flew "twice the length of the village high street, before turning in somewhat unsteady manner with the apparent intention of returning. However the trees alongside the brook stood in his path and he was forced to release the steam valve and bring the machine down somewhat abruptly, breaking the axle so that the machine slid ignominiously on its belly to a standstill."
The steam release caused the engine tubes to overheat and burn out. Anddron, his amusement sated, declined to fund repairs and commanded Jebtsumuoy to confine his work to horse-drawn carriages henceforth.
The letter refers to construction drawings, eyewitness statements and an illustrated clipping from a "most eminent" Hungarian journal, but the BL does not have copies of these. It also refers to copies sent to "that foreigner G.W. who showed such interest" some years earlier. This must have been German-born Gustav Weisskopf, who would later emigrate to America and, as Gustave Whitehead, claim to have flown a mere two years before the Wrights. This is clear because a short note, in a different hand, is attached to the BL copy; "Showed this to Whitehead and he said yes, this was the machine that he improved. Abandoned the front flaps because they blew back once any speed was reached." It is signed Dahnee Bevahuoy.

"Gniko Jebtsumuoy"? You must be joking.
His real name was Tiro Fllaftonod and he lived in a small village called Ekojasiti.

Last edited:
Haha, good to see you taking on the baton after my April Fool's stealth story last year.
Nicely done too as the early pioneer designs were often highly crackpot in design!

ROTFL but you are all wrong.

I'm corresponding with a descendant of these two illustrious people (many generations appart).

His name is Simon Poisson d'Avril-Ecru (he become a noble and got the particle in the early 20th century)

In a letter he says he has a letter from his great-great-uncle which says

"Les avions de Clément Ader adhèrent certainement au sol, mais pas les miens. J'ai réussi a décoller !" Coincidentally, the letter is also dated April 1, but the year cannot be red clearly - 1893 or 1883 - if the later, it would be a revolution in the history of astronautics.

Last edited:
Nah the first one was an Italian named Primo Volo, in 1898.....

Hence the famous italian expression (no idea who is that Ben Trovato - probably an italian - american).

Se non è Volo, è Ben Trovato...​

Guys, it was absolutely clear, that the first heavier-than-air flight was made by knyaz Kurbsky, who fled Ivan Grozny ire so fast, that according to witnesses, "disappeared without any trail left")

We all know the first people to fly were the Ancient Egyptians taking joyrides in the alien spacecraft that helped them build the Pyramids. Don't let the historians lie to you!

Gentlemen, I think it is easily clear that Michel Ardan, Impey Barbican and Captain Nicholl were the first people to go to the moon.

And Admiral Carrero Blanco in his Dodge remain the first spanish astronaut, ever - send in orbit by the Vasco Space Agency a day of December 1973. He pioneered nuclear pulse propulsion with conventional explosives - a heroic contribution to mankind progress into space.

Godspeed to you, Admiral ! Ad astra per aspera, as they say...

Gentlemen, I think it is easily clear that Michel Ardan, Impey Barbican and Captain Nicholl were the first people to go to the moon.

And Admiral Carrero Blanco in his Dodge remain the first spanish astronaut, ever - send in orbit by the Vasco Space Agency a day of December 1973. He pioneered nuclear pulse propulsion with conventional explosives - a heroic contribution to mankind progress into space.

Didn't was Jose Jimenez in the early 60's???

When the Armada acquired the first vertical take off airplanes there were so many jokes about this that it was dismissed to use the admiral's name in the new aircraft carrier

no photograph, no valid claim.

Attachments

• comprar-tapiz-ultima-cena-leonardo-da-vinci-1.jpg
    comprar-tapiz-ultima-cena-leonardo-da-vinci-1.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 17

When the Armada acquired the first vertical take off airplanes there were so many jokes about this that it was dismissed to use the admiral's name in the new aircraft carrier

Surely enough, he was a Spanish Navy Admiral... and he tookoff vertically, too. Although - just like Whitehead and Ader, and unlike the Wright brothers - the flight was uncontrolled... more ballistic than aerodynamic "flight".

Surely enough, he was a Spanish Navy Admiral... and he tookoff vertically, too. Although - just like Whitehead and Ader, and unlike the Wright brothers - the flight was uncontrolled... more ballistic than aerodynamic "flight".
The flight was controlled until the Dodge crashed into the church

I thought it jumped above an apartment block ? Did it landed on a church, too ?

Seriously, for such an awful person, such a cartoonish death... I mean, he really pulled a Wile E. Coyote that day...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wan_Hu

The first was a Chinese, I hope this claim will increase the sale of my books…

Wikipedia has this to say

The crater Wan-Hoo on the far side of the Moon is named after him.

How about that... he dug a crater on the Moon... had the landing not failed, then, in the legendary words of Mark Watney...

"In your face, Neil Armstrong !"

Wang Tu​

He even invented countdown !

Wang
Tu
Tree !

(it was the last word he said before crashing in a forrest)

(runs for cover !)

I thought it jumped above an apartment block ? Did it landed on a church, too ?

Seriously, for such an awful person, such a cartoonish death... I mean, he really pulled a Wile E. Coyote that day...
Casa Profesa de los Jesuitas in Madrid is currently located at 106 Serrano Street. She was known in the 1970s for being the site of an attack by government president Luis Carrero Blanco.

The flight was controlled until the Dodge crashed into the church
Just a failed landing then... reminds me SpaceX somehow, so he was true pioneer.

Regarding the jokes about Carrero Blanco, April first or not, frankly I find it rather poor form to make fun and rejoice at the assassination of a prime minister by a terrorist organization like ETA, which at the time was allied with Muammar Ghaddafi PLO, PFLP, and and the IRA.
It is not a matter of supporting the Francoists (which I don't), it is a matter of human decency.

Rather disappointing. Especially here.

Ok… so no jokes about sex… no jokes about killed prime ministers pyrotechnic pionneers (even from decades ago, I first learned about him here) … Guys, Behave ! We're serious aviation nuts here !

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom