The worst unbuilt project

Possibly James P. Hogan was inspired by this project for chapter one of his novel "Inherit the Stars"
Great book, great trilogy..... Mark

Book 4 not so good....book 5 getting back to being good
I did not realize there were more than the first three. I guess I need to track those down. Hogan has a few other good books, well what I liked - The Proteus Operation being a good one too.

Book 4 - Entoverse
Book 5 - Mission to Minerva

Looking at the customer reviews on Amazon for Entoverse, I seem to be in a minority.....:(

Looking around I sometimes wonder if the Jevlenese could actually be real.........

Would have liked to see The Proteus Operation as a film or mini-series and the Giants trilogy of five as a series.

Last edited:
This threat descent into Madness of ugliest Aircraft ever conceived...

591266_original-jpg.652557

There might actually be one redeeming quality here.

Let’s keep the pod where it is…but on rails…above everything else.

Heck…make that pod tail longer….with bungees.

If this thing crashed into something…might that pod have enough track to slow to zero velocity to deposit a robot out the front undamaged?

Now this is pod-racing.

It would still kill you or me…but I could see M3GAN jumping out just fine. A robot assassin could take some eyes-out deceleration without damage.

I could see it depositing the pod behind with tethers and a snag…

Last edited:
Unbuilt to the extent that the prototype was never fully completed and definitely never flew

There's the Silvanskii IS

img_2111.jpg

An amateur aircraft designer who was a good BSer, A V Silvanskii got state permission--and funding--to build a single seat fighter prototype.

With the prototype complete, it was found the landing gear were too long to fit in the wheel wells... Silvanskii's solution was to shorten the struts.

Now they fit but the wells were found too shallow to allow the gear to fully retract. Well, you can't have everything you want...

But those modifications now caused the prop to hit the ground as the plane lifted its tail to take off (or would have it it had ever flown).

Silvanskii's solution to this was simple enough. Saw 10 cm off each blade, problem solved!

The management and engineers at the factory where the plane was now to fly refused to allow it... I wonder why...

So, Silvanskii's solution was to find another airfield to test his plane... There, it proved incapable of flight and the hapless test pilot condemned it on the spot.