The US Space Force

Starship with a laser weapon, or micro wave weapon in is big payload bay can produce a domination about a lot of orbit, she is saying bullshit in this article.
Not Starship as is, but purely space warship, based on Starship structure - without wings, heat protection, but with anti-laser graphite coating and foldable radiators - may be practical.

This is the key point:

engagements, whether peaceful or aggressive, can be planned long ahead of time regardless of the speed at which satellites are traveling... Any conflict in space would be a slow and deliberate affair.

Two SFF authors come to mind. In Anvil of Stars, Greg Bear can't help but indulge in starfighters (which prove to be of limited use) but in the end states clearly that the essence of space war is deception. Terry Pratchett in The Unadulterated Cat describes 'Cat Chess' in which every cat in a neighbourhood strives to find a high point where they can see every other cat without being seen in turn.

Considering the inherent fragility of spacecraft and the extreme improbability of practical stealth, 'battles' may follow concepts similar to nuclear deterrence. That is, due to the huge scale in space, time and consequence, the tactics are actually strategy and logistics, with placement of assets for potential kinetic action being a formalised sublimation of actual action. Maybe they'll be more like the sports and games that are derived from military action themselves: chess, go, or even fencing. Certainly AIs will be doing a lot of the planning. Where the fighting gets 'hot' it will be in espionage and cyberwar.

Democrats are introducing a bill to abolish the Space Force established by former President Donald Trump as a new branch of the military to defend American national security in the expanding world that is increasingly using satellite technology for business, communications, and defense.

As Congress moves to pass the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA), the annual bill that authorizes funding for the Pentagon, Rep. Jared Huffman, D-Calif., introduced the "No Militarization of Space Act," co-signed by Reps. Mark Pocan, D-Wis., Jesús García, D-Ill., Rashida Tlaib, D-Mich., and Maxine Waters, D-Calif.
I can find absolutely no independent verification of this story and it also seems very unlikely in light of the below.

President Joe Biden requested $17.5 billion for the Space Force in fiscal year 2022, a 13 percent bump over what was enacted for 2021. About 27 percent of that is for classified efforts, according to Russell Rumbaugh, systems director at the Aerospace Corp.’s Center for Space Policy and Strategy.

“The Space Force continues to grow and consolidate, but it still exhibits several long-standing features of defense space: high classification levels and large programs,” he wrote in a recent issue brief, “The FY22 Defense Space Budget Request Analysis.”

Last edited:
An update on asteroid defence with nukes when it's too late to use things like gravity tractors.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gmtSTpZvRY

Links:

Democrats are introducing a bill to abolish the Space Force established by former President Donald Trump as a new branch of the military to defend American national security in the expanding world that is increasingly using satellite technology for business, communications, and defense.

As Congress moves to pass the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA), the annual bill that authorizes funding for the Pentagon, Rep. Jared Huffman, D-Calif., introduced the "No Militarization of Space Act," co-signed by Reps. Mark Pocan, D-Wis., Jesús García, D-Ill., Rashida Tlaib, D-Mich., and Maxine Waters, D-Calif.
I can find absolutely no independent verification of this story and it also seems very unlikely in light of the below.

President Joe Biden requested $17.5 billion for the Space Force in fiscal year 2022, a 13 percent bump over what was enacted for 2021. About 27 percent of that is for classified efforts, according to Russell Rumbaugh, systems director at the Aerospace Corp.’s Center for Space Policy and Strategy.

“The Space Force continues to grow and consolidate, but it still exhibits several long-standing features of defense space: high classification levels and large programs,” he wrote in a recent issue brief, “The FY22 Defense Space Budget Request Analysis.”

You didn't look very hard:

However, this proposal got no support from most Democrats and is dead.

Still more on asteroid interception. I know there are other threads, but this is almost certain to be a mission of the SF that will involve blowing things up real good.

Still more on asteroid interception. I know there are other threads, but this is almost certain to be a mission of the SF that will involve blowing things up real good.

If only we'd kept stuff to blow things up with.

If only we'd kept stuff to blow things up with.

And the infrastructure to build more, and the tribal knowledge to design new ones.
Agreed.

Now, I remember the old WINGS channel…and I seem to remember some anti-RAF type peaceniks protesting British Fighter production. I swear I saw a few seconds of black and white footage…the same arguments were made as against missile defense…that fighters would just make the enemy make more bombers…etc.

The Few proved that wrong..

You didn't look very hard:

However, this proposal got no support from most Democrats and is dead.
Well of course it would was it even ever a serous proposal because I kind of doubt it.

Called it:

"I'll believe it when I see it. 99% of the headlines like this we see turn out to be basically click-bait."

Another solution is to have ones own ability to collect 'space junk'.

View attachment 667601
Who knew "You Only Live Twice" was a documentary?
SpectreRocket34.jpg