The US Space Force

SAR looks cool enough by itself, yes. But unmanned SAR would be like cannned food in a Gastronomic restaurant... What for?!

A lot depends on what happens in November though.

Not really. As the MOU states this is an 'update' and something that has been required to supersede the previous MOU with Air Force Space Command since the US Space Force is a 'different' entity. Nothing's really changed but the acronyms and letter-heads. Paperwork only.

Randy

unmanned SAR would be like cannned food in a Gastronomic restaurant... What for?!

If a capsule goes down in an ocean or a jungle hell and gone from local resources, sending in a flock of drones to look for it probably makes sense. Hell, the satellites overhead that pick up and locate the capsules beacons are probably unmanned too.

SAR looks cool enough by itself, yes. But unmanned SAR would be like cannned food in a Gastronomic restaurant... What for?!

Where are you getting the idea of unmanned SAR? It's certainly not in the MoU. From what I can see, USSF didn't get the actual rescue squadron that supports Canaveral, but they probably inherited the responsibility to prepare for and coordinate SAR operations (meaning rescue helicopters and boats) for launches. That's all.

It's absolutely correct that this is largely a restatement of NASA's previous MoUs with the USAF. I think it expands the collaboration on detecting Earth-approaching asteroids, but that's about it.

My understanding is that the USAF still controls a lot of space operations at this point - what responsibilities/USAF wings were transfered to the Space Force?

NASA astronaut Michael Hopkins, a U.S. Air Force colonel and the commander of the upcoming SpaceX Crew Dragon mission, is transferring to the U.S. Space Force and is expected to be commissioned aboard the International Space Station.

“If all goes well, we’re looking to swear him into the Space Force from the International Space Station,” said Gen. John “Jay” Raymond, chief of space operations of the U.S. Space Force.

“If all goes well, we’re looking to swear him into the Space Force from the International Space Station,” said Gen. John “Jay” Raymond, chief of space operations of the U.S. Space Force.

seems to be a bit of a contradiction ... the International Space Station, ie. multi-national and notionally non military, hosting the swearing in of a USSF. astronaut

seems to be a bit of a contradiction ... the International Space Station, ie. multi-national and notionally non military, hosting the swearing in of a USSF. astronaut
Not really, most of the stick actuator types (Mission Commander/Pilot) are TPS grads and military officers. The few non officer stick actuators are/were NASA test pilots, but most of them went to TPS while they were military officers...

Removed off-topic discussion on politics. Plenty of other places you can criticise random political proposals, its not relevant here unless it has a chance of actually happening.

Removed off-topic discussion on politics. Plenty of other places you can criticise random political proposals, its not relevant here unless it has a chance of actually happening.
Ummm... a bill supported by a number of relevant politicians that would abolish the actual subject of the thread seems like it's relevant.

Ummm... a bill supported by a number of relevant politicians that would abolish the actual subject of the thread seems like it's relevant.
What he said. This is getting ridiculous. I'd expect this on Twitter or Facebook but I'd have hoped we'd have at least enough tolerance to have a discussion here.

I have no interest is discussing the policies of the Movement for Black Lives here. The minute it was mentioned all that happened was a pile-on of proactive right-wing offence at things in the bill unrelated to the Space Force topic.

I have no interest is discussing the policies of the Movement for Black Lives here. The minute it was mentioned all that happened was a pile-on of proactive right-wing offence at things in the bill unrelated to the Space Force topic.
A right wing offense? In my book if you want to cut the budget In half right wing or left wing or not your a moron. I don’t know how you can remotely classify the removed the posts as remotely right wing. There wasn’t any discussion about right wing agenda. Political ideology wasn’t mentioned. We were only discussing a bill that would destroy the budget and the military.

Might I also add that a policy that would “abolish” the space force seems pretty relevant to a discussion about the space force. No hard feeling it just seems strange that it would be removed.

If you believe for one moment that this bill will ever be passed by President Biden, then you
A right wing offense? In my book if you want to cut the budget In half right wing or left wing or not your a moron. I don’t know how you can remotely classify the removed the posts as remotely right wing. There wasn’t any discussion about right wing agenda. Political ideology wasn’t mentioned. We were only discussing a bill that would destroy the budget and the military.
The people making the posts were the usual right leaning people and the people reporting their posts as objectionable were the usual left leaning people. I have no interest in moderating the argument here. If President Biden plans to actually cut the Space Force budget in half, by all means post it here.

Otherwise its just the usual internet troll "look at what the crazy folks over there said! Lets get angry about something that probably won't ever happen!".

If you believe for one moment that this bill will ever be passed by President Biden, then you
The people making the posts were the usual right leaning people and the people reporting their posts as objectionable were the usual left leaning people. I have no interest in moderating the argument here. If President Biden plans to actually cut the Space Force budget in half, by all means post it here.

Otherwise its just the usual internet troll "look at what the crazy folks over there said! Lets get angry about something that probably won't ever happen!".
You make a good point but as far as I’m aware there was no argument. Some one mentioned a bill, I replied and it ended up here.

The posts were reported using the "report" mechanism. This is as per the forum rules - if you find a post objectionable, you should report it rather than engage back in vigilante post action.

I'm not defending the BREATHE bill, as a Brit in New Zealand it's not really relevant to me but it certainly looks rather controversial, as is some legislation proposed from the extreme wing on the other side.

Regardless, Its a long way from Unbuilt Projects. Which is the forum core topic.

The people making the posts were the usual right leaning people and the people reporting their posts as objectionable were the usual left leaning people. I have no interest in moderating the argument here.

Or you could just tell the people constantly complaining to you (everybody knows who they are) to block the people they don't like listening to instead of allowing them to dictate what is or isn't allowed to be discussed. Win-win. Previous iterations of the forum software still showed who was replying to you, even if they were blocked, which was pretty much pointless. The stuff you're using now doesn't show anything. It's like they don't even exist and it's beautiful. People who want to listen to them can. People who don't want to don't have to.

The people making the posts were the usual right leaning people and the people reporting their posts as objectionable were the usual left leaning people. I have no interest in moderating the argument here.

Or you could just tell the people constantly complaining to you (everybody knows who they are) to block the people they don't like listening to instead of allowing them to dictate what is or isn't allowed to be discussed. Win-win. Previous iterations of the forum software still showed who was replying to you, even if they were blocked, which was pretty much pointless. The stuff you're using now doesn't show anything. It's like they don't even exist and it's beautiful. People who want to listen to them can. People who don't want to don't have to.
I could do. But its ultimately my forum.

I don't want to listen to posts riffing on US politics, but I do want to hear from US people about topics relevant to the forum (unbuilt projects, aerospace technology). I certainly don't want to block longstanding members because of occasional political posts. So maybe try not doing it?

I don't want to listen to posts riffing on US politics, but I do want to hear from US people about topics relevant to the forum (unbuilt projects, aerospace technology). I certainly don't want to block longstanding members because of occasional political posts. So maybe try not doing it?
Fair enough. Sometimes it can get gray though. Just sayin'. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yep absolutely.

Yep absolutely.
You guys still talking about the posts being removed? Dang I wasn’t happy but there’s nothing you can do about forum watchdogs removing it except for complaining.

When you threaten to boot someone for mentioning a proposed bill ("politics") in a thread specifically about a contentious new arm of the government ("politics"), you incentivize that person to comment less. Which, of course, is the goal of the forum members who are so quick to stab the "report" button.

I have reservations about the entire thread, its really off topic. But I take your point.
The creation of US Space Force is off topic in an Aviation and Space section? If it's off-topic because it isn't specifically hardware related how about just move it to The Bar?

I have reservations about the entire thread, its really off topic. But I take your point.
The creation of US Space Force is off topic in an Aviation and Space section? If it's off-topic because it isn't specifically hardware related how about just move it to The Bar?
But there has been posts talking about the potential hardware the Space Force would use. So as you stated above grey area.

As for reporting posts to a moderator. I’ve been a member of this forum closing in on 12 years and don’t recall ever reporting the content of a post based on its “politics”. I have reported posts that contain personal attacks on members here.

Frankly I don’t care if someone posts an article or opinion that says eliminate the military and spend the money on welfare programs. Despite my complete opposition to such a policy I am not offended that someone, in good faith, thinks and believes that, as is their right.

Last edited:
Training command:
“What we are really bringing to the fight is focus. Focus on space,” Col. Peter Flores, director of the Space Training and Readiness (STAR) Delta Provisional at Space Operations Command, said in an interview today. (STAR Delta is the predecessor to a brand new training and readiness field command, that will be called STARCOM. It will be led by a two-star and is expected to be up and running sometime next year.)[...]
The doctrine explains that Space Force personnel will be trained in a set of five core competencies that define how “spacepower” is employed, as well as one or more narrower “spacepower disciplines.”

The core competencies are: Space Security; Combat Power Projection; Space Mobility & Logistics; Information Mobility; and Space Domain Awareness.

The seven specialized “disciplines” are:

• Orbital Warfare
  • Space Electromagnetic Warfare
  • Space Battle Management
  • Space Access & Sustainment
  • Military Intelligence
  • Cyber Operations
  • Engineering / Acquisition
The follow-on CSO Planning Guidance released early this month specifies that STARCOM “will develop the unique curricula required by the first four disciplines of Orbital Warfare, Space Electromagnetic Warfare, Space Battle Management, and Space Access and Sustainment. In addition, STARCOM will facilitate inclusion of space-unique content for Military Intelligence, Cyber Operations, and Engineering and Acquisition career fields for individuals intending to join or support Space Force units.”

First selected tainee for Space School:

out of 165 applicants, only 45 students were selected to fill out the three course offerings in 2021, with 15 students chosen per course.

“This course is critical to the development of USSF test professionals and will enable them to lead and conduct full spectrum test and evaluation of systems operating across the space domain,” said Col. Sebrina Pabon, TPS commandant.

This three-month program leverages world-class USAF TPS expertise, designed to provide hands-on training in flight test fundamentals, systems test, space science application, advanced space system test and evaluation, and broad exposure to the foremost centers of space operations and testing.

“The STF course will help enhance a professional test workforce in the space domain through common education and a basic toolset. In addition to the classroom and hands-on learning, we hope to impress upon the students the importance of a test and engineering mindset,” said Dr. Andrew Freeborn, a USAF TPS flight test instructor pilot.

The course culminates in a two-week realistic capstone exercise to evaluate student’s knowledge.

Last edited:
SF pins & badges:

image.jpg