Status
Not open for further replies.
Well look at it this way, Trump wonders if they could buy Greenland, just about every Danish politician comes up with some stupid remark about him, including their PM, so Trump cancels his trip there. Then they're all surprised about it --- I'm surprised Trump didn't cancel even sooner.

To be fair, the cancellation is also tied up with the Danish Prime Minister yet again trying to weasel out of NATO commitments.
This is quite offensive to the Danes. They are actually one of the most supportive European countries in terms of deploying troops alongside US troops around the world for peacekeeping activities. They do spend quite a lot below 2% of GDP, but to characterize that as "weasel out of NATO commitments" is quite offensive.

(I've removed the original reported post, but felt this required a response)

Last edited:
Well look at it this way, Trump wonders if they could buy Greenland, just about every Danish politician comes up with some stupid remark about him, including their PM, so Trump cancels his trip there. Then they're all surprised about it --- I'm surprised Trump didn't cancel even sooner.
It is the very height of entitled arrogance to assume that anything you want to possess is for sale, and that the consent of actual people who live in Greenland are irrelevant. Assuming he was serious, this was a topic to raise with the Danish Prime Minister privately, not tweet out on social media.

Doubling down on your ignorance by cancelling a visit to an ally country because they won't talk about selling part of their country, is like cancelling a dinner with your friend because he refused to consider discussing buying sexual favours from his daughter.

"Grab 'em by the pussy. You can do anything" is not a diplomatic axiom.

(Topic locked)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.