• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

The South China Sea NEWS ONLY

TsrJoe

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
Rare Earths aren't all that rare and the US used to have its own sources until they were priced out of business by Chinese imports. Any startups will need assurance that won't happen again before they invest dollars.
why 'assurance' ?, surely if demand is there its up to companies to invest to fulfil that need ? the basis of free market western capitalism :)

TsrJoe

Reaction score

i find such 'news items' rather interesting, such quotes as 'the U.S./Western definition regarding freedom of the seas' is in itself quite provocative, perhaps China and surrounding states should have an equal say re the region, lets be honest the 'new century' is potentially going to see major changes in the power game

fredymac

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Rare Earths aren't all that rare and the US used to have its own sources until they were priced out of business by Chinese imports. Any startups will need assurance that won't happen again before they invest dollars.
why 'assurance' ?, surely if demand is there its up to companies to invest to fulfil that need ? the basis of free market western capitalism :)

Assurance that China won't re-enter the market with pricing to drive them into bankruptcy. Or are you claiming China sets prices based on market principles instead of market share regardless of price.

fredymac

Reaction score
i find such 'news items' rather interesting, such quotes as 'the U.S./Western definition regarding freedom of the seas' is in itself quite provocative, perhaps China and surrounding states should have an equal say re the region, lets be honest the 'new century' is potentially going to see major changes in the power game

Can you define the provocative elements of western definitions for freedom of the seas? As far as I'm aware, that means you can transit a body of water outside the 12 mile territorial limits without interference or permission. I have not seen any western claim that freedom of the seas means you can fish/mine/squat on someone else's exclusive economic zone. And the EEZ in turn is defined by visually obvious geography and the 200 mile limit.

TsrJoe

Reaction score
re market principles, i guess those are the same ones which the US. has previously used to collapse industry in the UK. and elsewhere

as i read it, i was not commening on the various definitions of 'territorial waters', indeed many states do claim different extentions to their coastline (wither accepted by US. or not is a different discussion), i merely noted the statement reads that China should abide by a US./Western decision, hence my suggestion such a notion could be seen as provocative or indeed inflamatory if any of the players were looking for an excuse for belligerency ? :)

fredymac

Reaction score
re market principles, i guess those are the same ones which the US. has previously used to collapse industry in the UK. and elsewhere

as i read it, i was not commening on the various definitions of 'territorial waters', indeed many states do claim different extentions to their coastline (wither accepted by US. or not is a different discussion), i merely noted the statement reads that China should abide by a US./Western decision, hence my suggestion such a notion could be seen as provocative or indeed inflamatory if any of the players were looking for an excuse for belligerency ? :)

Let me know when those other countries reach a negative balance of trade in manufactured goods that comes to say 1/3 of what the US currently has.

Direct quote from article:
Potential specific U.S. goals for U.S.-China strategic competition in the SCS and ECS include but are not necessarily limited to the following........

....... adopt the U.S./Western definition regarding freedom of the seas, and accept and abide by the July 2016 tribunal award in the SCS arbitration case involving the Philippines and China.

If you find that provocative, then there is something you don't like about the legal definition of freedom of the seas and the demarcation of exclusive economic zones.

TsrJoe

Reaction score

if i was overseeing an island state which was slowly sinking into the sea id be welcoming such measures too. Hmm, maybe the real issue is the so called Western nations are very much on the back step in planning for the future :)

quote ; ... 'increasingly turning to ‘assistance’ from China because they perceive that their development needs are not being addressed by other partners and that their very real concerns about the existential threat from climate change are largely brushed aside by Australia and the US.'

bobbymike

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score

About 20 years late developing Intermediate-Range strike options for the SCS but better late than never I guess.

Should consider a COTS solution of modifying an existing SRM like the GEM series with a precision front end/warhead combination.

Grey Havoc

The path not taken.
Reaction score
COTS / spin-on might not be the best solution though, given the generally poor record of such approaches in the post-Cold War era. But they do need something in a hurry.

Foo Fighter

I came, I saw, I drank some tea (and had a bun).
Reaction score
I see a short but nasty little contra-temps sometime soon out there if they do not get a grip of the situation.