The Imperial Russian Air Service: Famous Pilots & Aircraft of World War One

Spook

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Hello,

Does anyone have more information about the book:
"The Imperial Russian Air Service: Famous Pilots & Aircraft of World War One by Alan Durkata, Tom Darcey, Victor Kuhkov?.
Considering the book is quite expensive as of now, do you think is it worth the price?

Thank you,
Ak

Attachments

• $T2eC16JHJIEFHSqkN8-wBSFO6k(!sQ--60_57.JPG
    $T2eC16JHJIEFHSqkN8-wBSFO6k(!sQ--60_57.JPG
    194.4 KB · Views: 129
One of the first books I ever bought off Amazon back in 1999. Contributors include Harry Woodman, Terry Waldron, Ian Stair, James Dietz, Sergei Sikorsky and Sherwood Merk. The bulk of the massive tome is by Durkota, Darcey and Kulikov.

In my view its a great work and broken down into convenient sections (see attachments - SORRY ABOUT QUALITY). I have to admit I originally bought it for sections 5 and 6 although I have grown to appreciate the other sections as well. There are many photos of aircraft I had not seen before. The pen-portraits of the selected pilots are also illustrated well. The scale drawings are good quality full page in most cases and the colour plates of colour and markings are useful for modellers.

The aircraft types is limited to the major manufacturers of the period.

One real complaint, the book is far too heavy!

Oh, in answer to your original question - "is it worth it?" - I think so, but I have no idea what the current asking price is. I think I paid 45 British Pounds back in the day.

Attachments

• XContent.JPG
    XContent.JPG
    156.9 KB · Views: 113
  • XScaleDwgs.JPG
    XScaleDwgs.JPG
    150.8 KB · Views: 110
  • XExampleDwg.JPG
    XExampleDwg.JPG
    132.5 KB · Views: 106
Thanks a lot Cy-27 for your reply. The price for it right now is Euro.82, which my believe is a fair deal.

Thanks to you silencer 1 also for the correction.

regards,
Ak