The coolest Airline

uk 75

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
I love airliners in model form but loathe flying as a form of travel in real life. But I have been thinking in these Covid days which is the airline which sums up the coolness of the idea of airline travel.
As a Brit Imperial Airways with its silver biplanes at Croydon airport or flying boats on the Nile evoke the world of elegance. Its successor BOAC had some beautiful colour schemes on aircraft like the Comet and VC10.
But cool for me means Pan American. Its round the world 707 flight. The iconic Pan Am clipper in 2001 a Space Odyssey. The first 747 jumbo into Heathrow.
It is no accident that by the 80s Pan Am was on its way out. Flying was ordinary, commonplace. But for a long time Pan Am was the coolest airline.

uk 75

Reaction score
I have flown both Interflug (Tu 134 and Ilyushin Il18) and Lufthansa (737 and Airbus). Guess which cabin crew were nicer in every way Genossin.

Arjen

It's turtles all the way down
Reaction score
I am genuinely interested. Do tell!

uk 75

Reaction score
I flew Interflug twice in 1989 and the young cabin crew were delightful and on the Il18 even gave out barley sugar sweets to suck (cabin pressure on take off).

Orionblamblam

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Website
www.aerospaceprojectsreview.com
KLM, hands down. They equipped their stewardesses with AR-10's.

How successful was this? So long as KLM DC-7s and DC-8's had AR-10s, none of their planes were ever hijacked by polar bears.

5.+Polar+huntress.jpg

dwkr01

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Of course not, Polar Bears only fly Aeroflot, Air Canada or SAS
Well, I hope he is my seat-mate on my next flight SFO-CPH! :)

My experiences with SAS have been quite positive - pretty comfortable aircraft (even the now-old and going A340s) and very competent staff. Even the food was ok (going from a few years back), my wife loved everything but I was maybe less enthusiastic about the bread.....

Oh, and the passengers. Once flying CPH-SFO we landed at SFO and the flight crew got on the speaker and said we were stuck in traffic and would have to wait for a gate, and 'please remain seated'. Everyone remained seated! That was truly unusual. :)

Dan

uk 75

Reaction score
Not sure I would tell those chaps that to their faces unless you can run as fast as a Polar Bear!