The Battle of Palmdale – WW2 Drone Hellcat vs F-89 Scorpion Jet Interceptors

Would have it been possible to fit these rockets with proximity fuzes? How was the fire control system supposed to work for the crew, did a gunsight automatically account for the range determined by the radar?
It definitely doesn't give much confidence in the rocket armament of some of these early interceptors. Sure a Soviet bomber is a bigger target, but it would also be shooting back if the interceptors got too close which tends to have a disruptive affect on aiming.

Would have it been possible to fit these rockets with proximity fuzes? How was the fire control system supposed to work for the crew, did a gunsight automatically account for the range determined by the radar?
It definitely doesn't give much confidence in the rocket armament of some of these early interceptors. Sure a Soviet bomber is a bigger target, but it would also be shooting back if the interceptors got too close which tends to have a disruptive affect on aiming.
Yes, the Army later developed the M429 VT fuze. However, this was late-Vietnam era and would detonate itself due to interference if you fire more than one at a time.

There just wasn't a compelling reason to give F-89s a VT fuze when the weapons system was only a stopgap until actual missiles showed up.

War Thunder gave the (premium!) F-89D VT fuzes but that is its won separate thing that I argued about elsewhere

That story is so baffling... I wonder whether they should have tried the old trick used by Spitfires against V-1s: wingtip to wingtip.

... then again, it also happened to F-102s. When they went chasing cruise missiles (Matador or Snark, can't remember) gone rogue, and never caught up. One of the cruise missiles was later found... in south america jungle.

That story is so baffling... I wonder whether they should have tried the old trick used by Spitfires against V-1s: wingtip to wingtip.

... then again, it also happened to F-102s. When they went chasing cruise missiles (Matador or Snark, can't remember) gone rogue, and never caught up. One of the cruise missiles was later found... in south america jungle.

Interesting story for sure (but maybe not the same one as they do not mention the F-102 interception)!