The Australian Arthur Dunbar Wigram's Aerial Torpedo 1911.

klem

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Arthur Dunbar Wigram was born in 1884 in Sydney, Australia. As a young and ambitious engineer, he drew up plans for an aerial torpedo. His invention consisted of an aerial torpedo that could be used on land or sea with an equally deadly effect. The authorities of the Admiralty and the War Office were invited to witness the experiments of his torpedo.he joined the British Royal Air Force and was assigned to the Air Ministry and appointed lieutenant (temporary captain). Few indications concerning Dunbar and his aerial torpedo except for some patents concerning propellers and a hydro-aeroplane.https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/128720957/14421591

Attachments

• Aerial torpedo.jpg
    Aerial torpedo.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 17
  • wigram Arthur Dunbar.jpg
    wigram Arthur Dunbar.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 16
  • Wigram Arthur Dunbar-Aerial torpedo.jpg
    Wigram Arthur Dunbar-Aerial torpedo.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 17
Interesting trilatheral-symmetric shape. I wonder, maybe he hoped to spin-stabilize it by its own motor rotation?
Yes, all speculations are possible because of the lack of other indications concerning the torpedo. At the beginning of the century, there was inventiveness everywhere, but it was often forgotten in the drawers of the staffs because of some consideration that was not considered imperious at the time.

Back
Top Bottom