Tempest - UK Future fighter programme

kaiserd

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
I am not sure that the US want to share their next USAF platform with any foreign gov. I can only see that being plausible for the USN if for real both projects are split. So, to me there is still room for a joint project with the UK.
Fundamentally the UK are bringing almost nothing to the table that the Japanese actually want or need.
There are major diplomatic, industrial and technical drivers for the US to provide assistance to Japan and for Japan to turn to the US.
Cooperation with the US may or may not amount to something akin to JSF tier 1 partner level or something looser (some kind of technology sharing with a similar or different airframe).
There may also be some similar arrangement with the US available to the UK.

As I stated above Sweden may be a possible partner for the UK if goes is own path on this but hard to see that surviving the various issues that impact all major projects in this field.
Some kind of consolidation with the French/German/Spanish project (at least in terms of technology sharing etc.) would appear to be the only likely alternative to junior partnership with the US.

Last edited:

Foo Fighter

I came, I saw, I drank some tea (and had a bun).
Reaction score
IMHO, better for the project to constrain the project to partners who can work together. Sweden and Japan have similar requirements which would simplify matters to the point twhere the technical spec can be set in stone more quickly which is a major advantage in any tech development like this. Adding in scheduled upgrades is far better than delaying entry to service due to constantly changing requirements/specs.

Last edited by a moderator:

kaiserd

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
IMHO, better for the project to constrain the project to partners who can work together. Sweden and Japan have similar requirements which would simplify matters to the point twhere the technical spec can be set in stone more quickly which is a major advantage in any tech development like this. Adding in scheduled upgrades is far better than delaying entry to service due to constantly changing requirements/specs.
But Japan almost certainly won’t join, some kind of deal will be done with the US and and any interest they’re showing in Team Tempest is really only part of their negotiations with the US.
I’d suggest other contributors try to stay realistic with their expectations.
Bluntly if Team Tempest needs Japan or a partner of that size then it’s probably doomed to fail apart from as a gambit to try to demonstrate relevance as a potential junior partner to another US or European project.

Flyaway

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
I am not sure that the US want to share their next USAF platform with any foreign gov. I can only see that being plausible for the USN if for real both projects are split. So, to me there is still room for a joint project with the UK.
Can the US government really afford to keep doing that. Oh well looks like they’ll be plenty of alternatives willing to rake in the foreign sales cash.