• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Tempest - UK Future fighter programme

aonestudio

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score

Hood

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
The only question I have is whether is this 21,000 jobs on top of the 21,000-25,000 employed on F-35 contract work or whether some have been counted twice?

Still this is good news and 62,000 jobs across the supply chain will be a welcome boost, as will the economic value.

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
Drawing on its expertise in advanced composite manufacturing solutions, Spirit Belfast says it will adapt its resin transfer infusion technology to produce a lightweight vehicle capable of uncrewed, high-speed flight. Benefits of using extensive composite components, compared to all-aluminium aerostructures, include both reduced maintenance and fuel consumption for aircraft operations.

“Spirit Belfast is delighted to lead the delivery of a national program enabling the development of cutting-edge technologies while maintaining critical skills in the U.K.,” says Scott McLarty, senior vice president of Spirit AeroSystems, Airbus Programs.

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
Front section of Tempest?
Notice the double supporting SMD beams taking most of the load, the angled radar position with, below, what seems to be an opening for the FLIR.

BAE1-web-1024x744.jpg

Source:

Hood

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
I'm always VERY wary of staged photo opportunities like this (I'm sure the blonde lady with her long hair must be breaking H&S regulations, tying hair back is an elementary safety protocol in any engineering space).
But it does look like a genuine design rather than something made up for a PR stunt. Saying that it could be from BAE's earlier work for Turkey or an older Tempest study.

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
@Hood : It might be something else, I do agree with you. There is no incredible sciences or out of scope engineering that would need to be protected there (except the twin beams).
Regarding the lady with the long beautiful hairs, it's commune practice to let employee some extra time for presenting their best if they wish.

By the way, I like the chair's design too.

Last edited:

Flyaway

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
I have a suspicion that like the NGAD what Tempest will really look like has not been disclosed publicly for similar reasons.