Temco primary trainers: Model 27, 29, 33, 58 (Swift, Plebe)

The Piper Enforcer died and other single engined turboprop COIN a/c never left the drawing board, e.g. the Temco 27 (from Der Flieger 1954), it seems to me, the idea of a cheap COIN aircraft don't find favour with the US forces or, perhaps more important, the US industry. And obviously, in other states not, too !

Attachments

• Temco-27.JPG
    Temco-27.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 634
The Temco 27 project reminds me the North American YAT-28...

Greetings All -

From the Vought Archives, the Temco Model 58. Meant for the advanced trainer/light attack market, apparently only one was built. Wikipedia states it was turboprop powered but that is incorrect.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

• Temco Model 58 3V.gif
    Temco Model 58 3V.gif
    71.6 KB · Views: 681
  • Temco Model 58 Inboard Profile.gif
    Temco Model 58 Inboard Profile.gif
    231.6 KB · Views: 659
  • Temco Model 58 Data.pdf
    134.7 KB · Views: 59
Brilliant stuff! I love all Temco aircraft, the TT-1 being my favorite. I cherish my old 1:48 model...

I would say yes, it is a tri-gear Model 33 Plebe but there are some other detail differences. It is definitely an evolutionary development of the Model 33.

HTH! Mark

Stargazer2006 said:
Brilliant stuff! I love all Temco aircraft, the TT-1 being my favorite. I cherish my old 1:48 model...

There was a privately owned one at an airport where I worked in the late '70s and early '80s. You must really have loved the Super Pinto!

An old teacher of mine saw a few airshows with Super Pintos. The performance was sparkling to say the least.

The Model 33 Plebe is NOT the T-35 Buckaroo! Both were developments of the Temco Swift, itself an evolution of the original Globe Swift. It featured a one piece bubble canopy.

The Temco Plebe prototype [N848B] was evaluated by US Navy against the Ryan Navion and the Beechcraft Mentor. Contrary to the Model 33, it had a more conventional type of canopy.

The Temco TE-1A Buckaroo was proposed a first time against the Fairchild YT-31 but lost. It was later evaluated as the YT-35 against the Beech T-34 Mentor, and though found unsatisfactory, was procured in its TE-1B variant as the T-35A (10 built), most examples of which were delivered to Saudi Arabia.

The Temco 58 was indeed a tricycle modification of the Model 33 prototype [N848B].

AeroFranz said:
An old teacher of mine saw a few airshows with Super Pintos. The performance was sparkling to say the least.

Ironically, the Pinto at my airport may have been the only one that wasn't converted to a "Super". Never figured out why he didn't do that, he had the money.

I was one of IIRC only three primary classes to train in the TT-1. Most of us soloed in around 10 hours and went on to get about 40 hours total before transitioning to the T2J-1. It was a pleasant and easy plane to fly, the main bad feature being fuel capacity (apparently intended to have tip tanks, but they were not installed on the service test batch). Maximum endurance under ideal conditions was 1.1 hours, but doing touch and gos, manuevers, it worked out to be .9 hours or less. It did teach one to be very fuel state conscious. There were several instances of flaming out before hitting the chocks.

best Regards,

Artie Bob

Thanks for the memories!!! It's always great to have a first-hand account! ;)

Perhaps this topic should be renamed as "Temco trainers" now?

Quite right about Temco Trainers - done!

I read T-35 but was thinking Model 33 - glad you caught the mix up.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

The Temco 27 project and a four-seat derivative, both from Aviation Week, June 22, 1953.

Can you guess what engine was supposed to power the Model 27? (a pretty unusual choice!)

Attachments

• Temco 27 mockup.jpg
    Temco 27 mockup.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 629
  • four-place Temco.jpg
    four-place Temco.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 531
My dear Stargazer,

we can say,the meaning fighter in Temco Model 27,meant attack or COIN aircraft,
as my dear Jemiba spoke about it before;

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,8518.msg16604.html#msg16604

Hesham, now you have me utterly confused.
Where was 'fighter' mentioned in Stargazer's presentation of the model 27? All I can see is a four seater with the suggestion of t being a 'staff car'. That would make it, from a USAF perspective, an L = Liaison aircraft.
A four seater as a fighter/attack/COIN aircraft is almost contradictory.......

Jos Heyman said:

Indeed, but hesham was speaking of the design he gave the link to, I think, which
in the caption was decribed as a fighter, in that case probably a light COIN/ground attacker.

Some pictures the Temco Model 58 I found in my HDD.
Some obviously came from old books, others from all over the web.

Attachments

• Temco model 58_05.JPG
    Temco model 58_05.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 259
  • Temco model 58_04.jpg
    Temco model 58_04.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 498
  • Temco model 58_03.JPG
    Temco model 58_03.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 535
  • Temco model 58_02.jpg
    Temco model 58_02.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 724
  • Temco model 58_01.gif
    Temco model 58_01.gif
    25.9 KB · Views: 519
Some links:
http://crimso.msk.ru/Site/Crafts/Craft31587.htm
http://celticowboy.com/TEMCO%20Aircraft.htm
And the armed variant of the Buckaroo:

Attachments

• Temco YT-35 Buckaroo_04.jpg
    Temco YT-35 Buckaroo_04.jpg
    466.2 KB · Views: 65
  • Temco YT-35 Buckaroo_03.jpg
    Temco YT-35 Buckaroo_03.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 50
  • Temco YT-35 Buckaroo_02.jpg
    Temco YT-35 Buckaroo_02.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 54
  • Temco YT-35 Buckaroo_01.jpg
    Temco YT-35 Buckaroo_01.jpg
    495.4 KB · Views: 70
  • temco T-35 buckaroo_06.JPG
    temco T-35 buckaroo_06.JPG
    173.9 KB · Views: 70
  • temco T-35 buckaroo_05.jpg
    temco T-35 buckaroo_05.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 67
  • temco T-35 buckaroo_03.jpg
    temco T-35 buckaroo_03.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 62
  • temco T-35 buckaroo_01.jpg
    temco T-35 buckaroo_01.jpg
    567.1 KB · Views: 247
Jos Heyman said:
Hesham, now you have me utterly confused.
Where was 'fighter' mentioned in Stargazer's presentation of the model 27? All I can see is a four seater with the suggestion of t being a 'staff car'. That would make it, from a USAF perspective, an L = Liaison aircraft.

Jos, don't be confused! hesham was actually answering (albeit in a confusing way) my comment in the "other" Temco topic yesterday (in "Designation systems"). I noted that the 1953 article described the Model 27 as a trainer while a 1954 article described it as a lightweight fighter (a commercial evolution which is hardly surprising since light COIN variants of the Bukaroo and the Beech T-34 were offered).

And here's a nice couple of Plebe ads from 1953 and 1954 respectively:

Attachments

• Plebe ad 1953.jpg
    Plebe ad 1953.jpg
    316.8 KB · Views: 95
  • Plebe ad 1954 enhanced.jpg
    Plebe ad 1954 enhanced.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 117
Skyblazer said:
The Temco 27 project and a four-seat derivative, both from Aviation Week, June 22, 1953.

Can you guess what engine was supposed to power the Model 27? (a pretty unusual choice!)

Here is a Temco Model-29 jet version Project of Model-27,and some pictures for the last one.

http://archive.aviationweek.com/image/spread/19530622/12/2

Attachments

• 3.png
    3.png
    114.7 KB · Views: 110
  • 2.png
    2.png
    132.2 KB · Views: 131
  • Model-29.png
    Model-29.png
    102.5 KB · Views: 113
Merged relevant posts to topic. This is from Aviation Week archive:

http://archive.aviationweek.com/image/spread/19530615/4/1

Attachments

• TemcoModel27.jpg
    TemcoModel27.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 101
From the Temco Model 27T Trainer Proposal:

"The Temco Model 27T is a dual configuration aircraft, and as such meets the
requirements of both the primary and advanced stages of the training syllabus"

"The Model 27T is powered by a Mamba turbo-prop engine"

"The Model 27T can be easily converted into a minimum individual trainer by the
installation of additional seats, and into a long rnge navigational trainer through
the installation of additional fuel tanks, in the wings, thus providing a three in one aircraft"

From the former VAHF Archive

Attachments

• Temco-Model-27T-Versions-Drawing.jpg
    Temco-Model-27T-Versions-Drawing.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 88
More from the Temco Model 27T Trainer proposal:

"The model 27T is a two-configuration aircraft, in the basic or heavy configuration,
it is a high performance aircraft with flying characteristics approximating those of
first line aircraft, but in the alternate light configuration, it is a relatively low performance
aircraft, easy to fly and with no violent characteristics, which is well within the capabilities
of the 35-hour student.

Change-over from the heavy to the light configuration is accomplished by (1) insertion of a
limiting stop on the engine governor (fuel scheduling unit), (2) sealing off of the high level
fuel tank filler opening, and (3) installation of extended wing tips." "can be accomplished by
line maintenance personnel in from one to two man hours."

This copy of the proposal was water stained. The attached drawing is not the best due to
age and damage.

Attachments

• Temco-Model-27T-Artists-Concept-WaterStained.jpg
    Temco-Model-27T-Artists-Concept-WaterStained.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 81
A couple more of the Temco Model 27T

Two view (top and front) and Inboard Profile.

Attachments

• Temco-Model-27T-Top-and-Front-View.jpg
    Temco-Model-27T-Top-and-Front-View.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 99
  • Temco-Model-27T-Inboard-Profile.jpg
    Temco-Model-27T-Inboard-Profile.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 114
Wow,great Info and drawings my dear Bill.

I'm feeling very spoiled with all these great Temco-related documents! Thanks a lot.

Adding to this thread, Temco 29T from the Vought Heritage Foundation Archives.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

• zTemco 29T Jet Trainer - 1.jpg
    zTemco 29T Jet Trainer - 1.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 155
  • zTemco 29T Jet Trainer - 2.jpg
    zTemco 29T Jet Trainer - 2.jpg
    407.3 KB · Views: 142
  • zTemco 29T Jet Trainer - 3.jpg
    zTemco 29T Jet Trainer - 3.jpg
    403.7 KB · Views: 142