Ted Smith Aerostar Projects

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
from USA,

Ted Smith Model-400 :was a version of Aerostar twin engined business
aircraft,powered by two 200 hp Lycoming IO-360 engines.
Ted Smith 500 :twin engined business light aircraft,powered by two
250 Lycoming fuel injected engines.
Ted Smith 620 :developed from Aerostar as pressurized cabin version
with two 310 hp Lycoming TIO-541 engines.
Ted Smith 1000 :nine seat a stretched version of Aerostar,powered by
two 450 hp Lycoming TIO-541 engines.
Ted Smith 3000 :was a transcontinental range Aerostar powered by two
Williams turbofan engines.

relative link is here #55 reply by
[quote author=hesham]
Lazarov LAZ-11 :single engined cabin monoplane,used as ambulance version
of LAZ-8.
Alon A-3 :was an A-2A fitted with 130 hp Franklin engine and "two-plus-two"
cabin, prototype only.
Fleetwings F-6 :was single engined five seat flying boat version of F-5 amphibian
aircraft. [/quote]
Two Walliams FJ44 turbofan
cruise speed: 460 mph
range: 1500nm

Attachments

• aerostar3000.jpg
    aerostar3000.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 657
Thank you my dear Rousseau,

and I forgot to send to you that drawings,and please
correct the quot.

Ted Smith 3000 :was a transcontinental range Aerostar powered by two
Williams turbofan engines.

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1991/1991%20-%201360.html

Attachments

• AAC.JPG
    AAC.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 647
  • 3000.jpg
    3000.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 629
Hi all,

I search for more informations about these Ted Smith Aerostar projects.

Thanks

Attachments

• Smith Aerostar 160-.jpg
    Smith Aerostar 160-.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 574
  • Smith Aerostar 500-.jpg
    Smith Aerostar 500-.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 551
  • Smith Aerostar 2000-.jpg
    Smith Aerostar 2000-.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 164
Thanks, I wonder if that single engine design is where Oscar Taylor got the idea for the Speedstar?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a question here and hope someone can answer it:

Did Piper's purchase of the Aerostar 600 design (to produce it as the PA-60 and PA-61) include acquisition of the other related designs such as the 2000 for instance?

Stargazer2006 said:
Did Piper's purchase of the Aerostar 600 design (to produce it as the PA-60 and PA-61) include acquisition of the other related designs such as the 2000 for instance?

Yes, though implicitly. To explain: Ted Smith had designed the structure to be adaptable and expandable but there were no specific designs other than the 300 / 400 / 600 at the time of the sale to American Cement.

ACC was then acquired by Butler and the Aerostar came with it. Smith bought the rights back from Butler. In 1978 he sold all rights to Piper. In 1991 he bought all rights back from Piper and began to design the jet variants! Those diagrams from Flight date from after the ( second ) Smith re-acquisition.

The basic airframe was designed for diving in excess of 500 kts, so that there would not have to be any structural changes other than plumbing in the wings for the appropriate powerplant.

Hope that helps :)

I have come across this poor-quality three-view arrangement of a previously unseen derivative of the famous Aero Commander line named the "Superstar 700".

Has anyone got more info or pics on this type? Was there ever a prototype of it? Perhaps only a full-size mockup? Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• Superstar 700.gif
    Superstar 700.gif
    15 KB · Views: 76
Hi Stargazer,

Mr. Ted Smith left Aero Commander in 1966 to formed Ted Smith Aircraft Co. Inc.,
later the company sold to Aircraft Cement Co.,and in 1969 sold again to Butler
Aviation,the whole organization was amalgamated under the name Aerostar
Aircraft Corporation in 1970.

The main product for the company was the Aerostar aircraft,a twin engined light
transport and business design,the Superstar or Model 700 was developed from
Aerostar with stretched fuselage and IO-540M engines,only one prototype was
built,and gave the serial number (N72TS).

The aircraft was not related to Aero Commander.

Hi,

here is a 3-view to Ted Smith Aerostar-4000 project.

Attachments

• 4000.png
    4000.png
    124.8 KB · Views: 92
I believe N72TS would be the FAA registration number rather than its serial number.

famvburg said:
I believe N72TS would be the FAA registration number rather than its serial number.

May be that's right my dear Famvburg.

From Aviation magazine 1973.

Attachments

• f.png
    f.png
    397.2 KB · Views: 29
  • g.png
    g.png
    407.1 KB · Views: 31
At the time of Ted Smith's death, Aerostar and Smith were working on a two place high performance all metal sailplane. He wanted to improve on the 2-32. After his death, Aerostar scrapped all the parts already fabricated and closed the program. Does anybody have any information on the the project ......... maybe a 3 view?

Ted Smith 1906-1976 was educated at the Boeing School of Aeronautics and worked as an engineer for many years, having a hand in designing the B-18, B-23 and B-26. After World War 2 he designed the Aero Commander series which were the first light twins specifically designed as executive transports.

At the time of Ted Smith's death, Aerostar and Smith were working on a two place high performance all metal sailplane. He wanted to improve on the 2-32. After his death, Aerostar scrapped all the parts already fabricated and closed the program. Does anybody have any information on the the project ......... maybe a 3 view?

Great Info,what is your source Djfawcett ?.

Great Info,what is your source Djfawcett ?.
Soaring magazine published a picture of the fuselage mock-up in the Sept 76. The name was Soaring Star. It was all metal. Unfortunately there was very little information with the picture other than it had a 57 ft wing span. I attached a picture from the magazine. soaring star.png