Tanks etc with outrigger / sponson tracks...

Nik

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
The singular US 'Super Heavy' T-28/T-95 assault vehicle 'squared the circle' of loading gauge vs ground pressure by having 'sponson tracks' which, mounted out-board of the 'basic' set, could be twinned and towed 'off-duty'. IIRC, the pair could be attached / detached in a couple of busy hours: There's a recent video about it, done by the sole example's US museum.

Designed to smash the 'Siegfried Line', stomp 'King Tigers', even duel 'Maus', it never saw mass production, never mind combat. Just too late for Europe, such could have led the way through Japan's beach defences, but nukes removed the need...

The nearest equivalent to that track configuration seems to be 'crawler' cranes etc, that can significantly widen their 'track-base' for additional stability via a laterally telescopic under-frame.

Have any post-war military vehicles tried add-on track-sponsons per the T-28/T-95 ??

( The turtle-shaped Russian 'OBJECT' designed to ride out nearby tac-nuke blasts did not, IIRC, have dismountable sponsons: It was just really, really wide... )

German Tigers also suffered problems with being too wide for European railroads, so they were shipped with narrow “transit tracks” that needed to be replaced before they could drive across soft ground.

Thanks for the correction, my memory said twin M-4 tracks either side. I am obviously conflating this item of tank trivia with another vehicle, possibly the T-28/95 but seeing as I cannot access the data cannot check that.

Got to laugh mate.

Back
Top Bottom