Sweden to Propose Development of a New Fighter Aircraft

Deltafan

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score

The Swedish government on Tuesday revealed its plans to improve its military capabilities including development of a new fighter jet to replace the JAS 39 Grippen.
“The development of the next generation fighter aircraft will commence,” Swedish Carl Anders Peter Hultqvist said in a statement June 16, without divulging any more details.
To be continued...

I wonder what generation this new Swedish fighter will be in fifth or sixth? Considering that Sweden are also taking part in Project Tempest as well, it would make sense to skip a generation for the next Swedish fighter to replace the Grippen.

Those generations are mostly marketing fuzz anyways, so no reason to expect it be below six even if capabilities aren't there.

Those generations are mostly marketing fuzz anyways, so no reason to expect it be below six even if capabilities aren't there.

Thanks GARGEAN, I get mixed up with the whole generation thing, what fighter belongs to what generation it gets confusing as times. :confused:

BAe was closely involved with Sweden over the Gripen. We seem to be heading to a UK/Swedish jet versus a Franco/German one.
There are a lot of Gripens, Typhoons and Rafales to replace.

would the Tempest be overkill for the Swedish needs?

they've always went with light weight fighters (under 10,000 kg empty). the Viggen came close to being over 10,000
but the Gripen, Draken, etc are lighter.

tempest looks like its going to be in the mid-weight category at least.

Lots of new fighters planned. Tempest. The Korean plane. Japan - is that still active? A gripen replacement. NGAD or is it PCA? Are these jobs programs? Seems like Europe could do with just one type. Another for Asia, and the US requirement.

Lots of new fighters planned. Tempest. The Korean plane. Japan - is that still active? A gripen replacement. NGAD or is it PCA? Are these jobs programs? Seems like Europe could do with just one type. Another for Asia, and the US requirement.

Japan - seems like they are going ahead after the government this year decided that they will go at primarily alone with Mitsubishi about to receive a contract if not already. they already built a stealth demonstrator thats roughly Gripen sized

Korea - assembling it as we speak. Engines just delivered. Indonesia is a partner but they always have trouble with payments

India - still probably havent even finalized a design

Turkey - not much better than India, although they at least seem set on a design

imho, the Korea, India, and Turkey designs seem very similar in size and requirements. India also needs something ASAP and seems unhappy with FGFA or Pak-fa. should have joined Korea, at least the third proposed model would be full stealth with bays.

Japan seems to want a long range fighter/interceptor type that can do anti shipping missions. To me at least, it seems Japan joining with the Tempest might make sense but they recently shot down any partnership with BAe. Japan also rejected the F-35/F-22 hybrid.

BAe was closely involved with Sweden over the Gripen. We seem to be heading to a UK/Swedish jet versus a Franco/German one.
There are a lot of Gripens, Typhoons and Rafales to replace.
UK, Italy, Sweden and France, Germany, Spain!

We'll know more about this aircraft when we find out if the power plant is British or U.S. based.

We'll know more about this aircraft when we find out if the power plant is British or U.S. based.

So how many engines would the new Swedish fighter have? One or two? Considering that all previous Swedish fighters up to the Grippen have had only one engine.

Alas there isn't much choice for the Swedes: UK for a twin (my supposition), F-135 once available for a single engine.

Last edited:
Alas there isn't much choice for the Swedes: UK for a twin (my supposition), F-135 once available for a single engine.

I would like the Swedes to go for the twin engined British option, since Sweden used so much technology from the UK for the Gripen but in failing that the F-135 would be a good second option.

I can't help thinking that Sweden going it alone is simply weakening the chance of EUROPE making it in the continued techn race.
(Sweden or anyone else going it alone).

I get mixed up with the whole generation thing, what fighter belongs to what generation it gets confusing as times.
That one is very easy: Ours is the true next generation, the competitors' planes are warmed over previous generation.

I can't help thinking that Sweden going it alone is simply weakening the chance of EUROPE making it in the continued techn race.

Isn't the announcement really just for Swedish funded work on the joint SWE-UK programme?

Would be interesting to see what was the model generally adopted on the T-50 & KFX.