Survey: Ten Best US-made Aircraft

Stargazer2006 said:
CFE said:
P-80 (first US jet fighter)
You should have added "operational" to this description... Quite obviously, the first US jet fighter was the Bell Airacomet, and let's not forget that Lockheed got the P-80 contract originally as a development of the Bell XP-59B project, so the Bell was more influential.

I should have prefaced by P-80 comment with "operational," but "practical" also fits the bill. The poor Airacomet was in many ways deficient when compared with the fighters of the day. At least the P-80's performance was good enough to result in its deployment to Korea. When considering an aircraft's influence, the battlefield contributions weigh heavily with me when ranking combat aircraft. (The same standard could probably get the SBD Dauntless onto my list as well, because it turned the tide at Midway and influenced future naval strike aircraft.)

CFE said:
mz said:
Gannet said:
How about the Spirit of Saint Louis? First non-stop Transatlantic flight

Edit after posting - Sorry CFE didn't notice that you submit it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vickers_Vimy

True that Alcock & Brown did it first, but the list is limited to American aircraft. Once we open the debate up to the top ten airplanes around the world, we'll be in for a major slugfest :)

I should have included "solo"

I'm trying to come up with the ten best aircraft made in America - that made a real difference

XB-70,

in my opinion, before selecting aircraft you should set a clear definition of which is that "difference". What is the
criterium
you want to use to "pick" 10 items from the full list of "aircraft made in America".

the meaning of "making a real difference" can be:

a) historical impact
b) pioneer of its class
c) set a technological leap
d) record plane
e)...

Considering that I think you shouldn't expand your list from 10 to 25.

Best regards,
Antonio

SOC said:
A-12...ended the Cold War (ask me to explain that some time).

I'll bite, how did the A-12 end the Cold War? And which A-12 are you talking about?

Gannet said:
CFE said:
mz said:
Gannet said:
How about the Spirit of Saint Louis? First non-stop Transatlantic flight

Edit after posting - Sorry CFE didn't notice that you submit it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vickers_Vimy

True that Alcock & Brown did it first, but the list is limited to American aircraft. Once we open the debate up to the top ten airplanes around the world, we'll be in for a major slugfest :)

I should have included "solo"

I think most people don't know the Brits with a Vimy were first (and I wouldn't expect anyone here to confess). What's so different about doing it many many years later solo, how much does it prove technical superiority?

Back
Top Bottom