• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Surface Ships Need More Offensive Punch, Outlook

jsport

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Spearhead-class expeditionary fast transport (EPF) ships. The company (Austal) has been trying to pitch the EPF to serve as an ambulance ship or other auxiliary, but the Navy is still early in deciding what it wants its common auxiliary hull, called CHAMP, to look like.

The multi-mission of two CHAMP hull types could be the basis for combatants not just auxiliaries. Much money could be saved and more ships built. A combatant version of the Expeditionary Fast Transport (EPF) w/ a small AEGIS etc. and combatant version of the Expeditionary Seabase (ESB) as the smallest ship carrying the big weapon load like counter/hypersonics.
Perhaps allowing the specs to other ship builders so Austal and General dynamics do not build them all. The standard roles ship will be around for sometime bu the future needs to focus on mostly on 'larger than cruiser' for manned combatants the size of LHDs and Joint/SOCOM seabasing and as much close sea battle accomplished by minimally/unmmanned combatants.

a concept CHAMP/Combatant w/ Strategic Long Range Cannon (SLRC) not a EMRG.

Attachments

Last edited:

aonestudio

Reaction score
Northrop+Grumman+Builds+Very+Lightweight+Torpedo+for+US+Navy_1_9d80ef5a-97fa-4f9e-bed2-4d9bbf4...jpg

jsport

Reaction score
View attachment 633496

Josh_TN

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
That weapon seems more defensive than offensive in nature. It looks like it capitalizes on shrinking electronics size to make a 6.25" torpedo that fits in the external countermeasure launchers. That said the warhead must be so small that the only realistic target set would be USVs and other torpedoes. A submarine, particularly a USN boat, would have an advantage over a ship in firing hard kill torpedo counter measures in that getting a full TMA of the target is probably far easier given all the different sonars available. The wide aperture array by itself should provide range resolution at favorable angles, at least at ranges a fish would have to come to for acquisition/engagement.

TomS

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
That weapon seems more defensive than offensive in nature. It looks like it capitalizes on shrinking electronics size to make a 6.25" torpedo that fits in the external countermeasure launchers. That said the warhead must be so small that the only realistic target set would be USVs and other torpedoes. A submarine, particularly a USN boat, would have an advantage over a ship in firing hard kill torpedo counter measures in that getting a full TMA of the target is probably far easier given all the different sonars available. The wide aperture array by itself should provide range resolution at favorable angles, at least at ranges a fish would have to come to for acquisition/engagement.
They're looking at both offensive and defensive versions of the Common Very Lightweight Torpedo. The offensive configuration under Compact Rapid Attack Weapon, the defensive as Compact Anti-Torpedo. Seems like there is a lot of crossover.

Josh_TN

Reaction score
I didn't realize it would be two different platforms - presumably the same propulsion at least. I can't imagine a fish of that size having much range or bang for a full sized target though, even a D/E. As an offensive weapon, I'd rather use a mk48. But the 'Rapid' in that acronym makes me think that they want something for a target that suddenly is detected close aboard in a situation when you don't have a warmed up fish in a flooded tube. Honestly I'd still consider that defensive, if that's the case.

TomS

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
From air platforms like MQ-8 I'd consider the offensive version to be almost a classification tool. Drop one over a possible sub; if it's a real contact, the sub is almost certainly going to run, confirming the ID. But it would also be handy versus minisubs, USVs, and maybe even semi-submersible attack craft. All small enough targets that a miniature warhead may be good enough.

Desertfox

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
A small warhead might not severely hurt a full size sub but it might damage it enough to significantly affect its acoustic signature and make it more vulnerable to follow on shots.

Josh_TN

Reaction score
From air platforms like MQ-8 I'd consider the offensive version to be almost a classification tool. Drop one over a possible sub; if it's a real contact, the sub is almost certainly going to run, confirming the ID. But it would also be handy versus minisubs, USVs, and maybe even semi-submersible attack craft. All small enough targets that a miniature warhead may be good enough.
Fair point, I was considering only sub use. I'd never let anything get closer than I had to if it was large enough for a mk48 to lock onto. For UAVs or USVs it might be their primary weapon. As noted above by Desertfox, even a couple dozen pounds of HE against a full sized boat would probably at least damage an outer hull enough to make the boat subsequently easy to track, if nothing else. Hedgehog was only ~ 35lbs of charge.