• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Supermarine Type 327

Flitzer

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
I'm only getting single images attaching to post..
No problem...

Cheers
Peter

Attachments

Flitzer

Reaction score
Last one for now...

I have more if anyone would like to see.

Cheers and thanks
Peter

Attachments

Flitzer

Reaction score
Hi and thanks Matej
yes I did...but only got singles....Saudi gravity or something?

Cheers
Peter
:)

Antonio

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow Peter,

You're a first class artist!. These is the way I love to see unbuilt projects: alive.
Thanks for sharing your art with us :)

Cheers
Antonio

Orinblamblam your bombers book will look incredible which such gorgeous profiles

red admiral

Reaction score
Probably a filesize limit on what you can attach. Or act of god.

Sundog

Reaction score
These look excellent Flitzer! Nice work. ;)

thewanderingmind

Werfless
Reaction score
First time I'd seen these two aircraft, but, Flitzer: Damn, you're good! That's really excellent!

lark

Reaction score
Excellent art work Flitzer.
You bring the designs to life...

Skybolt

Reaction score
And now, the question everyone was keen to ask, but didn't... What kind of software are you using? :D
And, naturally, the pictures are super.... But anyone in Luft46 melée already knew ;D

Flitzer

Reaction score
Hi Skybolt...

The profiles are computer generated using Freehand 9 for keyline and basic drawing out and Photoshop for assembly and colour work on a Mac.
If you are interested I did a "How to do your own colour profiles" feature on Armorama, now in the Aeroscale section. I did it way back and since then my techniques and methods have developed somewhat.

Are you going to have a go?

Cheers
Peter
::) ;D ;)

Graham1973

Reaction score
Sorry to bump an old thread like this, but I spotted the pictures and wondered if anyone had more information on this 'twin-Spitfire', I mean it's obviously a competitor for the Westland Whirlwind, but what was the specification.

Apophenia

Reaction score
Graham1973 said:
... it's obviously a competitor for the Westland Whirlwind, but what was the specification.
Not really, Westland designed the Whirlwind to F.37/35. The Type 327 was a late submission (Aug 1938) to F.18/37. IIRC, the Type 327 was meant to replace Supermarine's earlier F.18/37 submission, the Type 325 (the pusher Type 324 having already been rejected).

Graham1973

Reaction score
Well she looks a fine bird, probably not a good dog-fighter (But then the Fighting Area Attacks didn't need one). That said she might have given the bombers a nasty surprise, provided of course, her 'little sisters' (Spitfires) could keep the BF-109's away.

Makes one wish Lucasarts had done a 'Secret Weapons of the RAF'.

Spark

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
Hi,
The Westland Whirlwind was reputed to be better than the 109 below about 15,000ft.
The Type 327 would have had about 50% more power, better at altitude and narrower wingspan.
Agreed she looks a fine bird.

Graham1973 said:
Well she looks a fine bird, probably not a good dog-fighter (But then the Fighting Area Attacks didn't need one). That said she might have given the bombers a nasty surprise, provided of course, her 'little sisters' (Spitfires) could keep the BF-109's away.

Makes one wish Lucasarts had done a 'Secret Weapons of the RAF'.

JFC Fuller

Reaction score
I found the below diagram whilst digging around online, does anybody know which book it is from?

Just a remark based on a cursory look but the radiator in the outer wing looks very small to me.

Attachments

JFC Fuller

Reaction score
From the UK National Archives today- in which the entire Supermarine 327 brochure survives along with Air Ministry notes on it.

Note that total internal fuel is 220 imp gallons.

The files are clear that the armament arrangement was regarded as impractical (hard to disagree with) the pilot view was questioned (though the gunsight view was preferred compared to the Spitfire/Hurricane) and mostly importantly a large part of the decision making group thought turret fighters were the future and thus wanted no additional types beyond the Whirlwind, Tempest/Typhoon and Boulton Paul P.92 in development- which is interesting. In addition there were concerns about the design capacity at Supermarine given the number of projects they were working on and likely to bid on. There was also an offer to replace the cannon with 12 x .303 machine guns mounted in the outer wings but this was frowned upon because of likely scattering in the fire caused by wing flexing, although this does make me wonder whether additional fuel tanks could have been installed in the out wings.

Attachments

Schneiderman

Reaction score
All three projects to highlight the differences, taken from Beyond the Spitfire

Attachments

blackkite

Don't laugh, don't cry, don't even curse, but.....
Reaction score
I got "Beyond the Spitfire"!! Excellent and exciting book. :eek:

blackkite

Reaction score
Hi!
http://modelplanes.de/royal-air-force/jaeger-royal-air-force/supermarine-327-spito-unicraft-resin/

Attachments

blackkite

Reaction score
JFC Fuller said:
From the UK National Archives today- in which the entire Supermarine 327 brochure survives along with Air Ministry notes on it.

Note that total internal fuel is 220 imp gallons.

The files are clear that the armament arrangement was regarded as impractical (hard to disagree with) the pilot view was questioned (though the gunsight view was preferred compared to the Spitfire/Hurricane) and mostly importantly a large part of the decision making group thought turret fighters were the future and thus wanted no additional types beyond the Whirlwind, Tempest/Typhoon and Boulton Paul P.92 in development- which is interesting. In addition there were concerns about the design capacity at Supermarine given the number of projects they were working on and likely to bid on. There was also an offer to replace the cannon with 12 x .303 machine guns mounted in the outer wings but this was frowned upon because of likely scattering in the fire caused by wing flexing, although this does make me wonder whether additional fuel tanks could have been installed in the out wings.
Amazing!! :eek:

blackkite

Reaction score
Hi!
https://elpoderdelasgalaxias.wordpress.com/category/uncategorized/page/4/

Attachments